Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram switching + custom PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rajjaak24

rajjaak24

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I have a Toshiba satellite pro L300 laptop and a dell optiplex 760 they both have 1gb of ram. Myy laptop is broken and I'm too lazy to have it fixed so I wanted to upgrade my PC. To start things off I was thinking about taking the ram stick from the laptop and installing it on the PC is it possible? will there be any size issues. When it comes to building a new PC I am a total newbie I'm more into software rather than hardware so I was wondering if anyone could give me budget part names. I want something for video editing and gaming.

What I would like:
-Motherboard
-Processor
-Ram brand (cheapest but good quality)
-Graphics card
-cooling system
and any other things that are needed.

Thank you for replying.

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2012 - 04:22 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

<<...I was thinking about taking the ram stick from the laptop and installing it on the PC is it possible?

Afraid not. Laptops use a different form factor (SODIMM) while desktops use DIMMs.

What sort of money are you looking to spend? What do you do on your system? Do you game?

Louis

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

To further expand on what Louis said above. Notebook PC's use SODIMM's and they are not compatible with your Dell desktop. However, some small form factor (SFF) PC's and HTPC's may use a small motherboard that takes SODIMM. A decent gaming PC can be built for about $700 to $800 depending on what you do. If you're wanting to reuse the case from the Optiplex for a gaming PC, you will have to get a new power supply as that model has them rated from 220W to 305W. You will also need, depending on what you upgrade, a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, GPU, power supply, hard drive, optical drive, and case.

3939.png

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

...and a copy of Windows :), with appropriate license.

Louis

#5 rajjaak24

rajjaak24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Not much to spend £200-£400 is what I can stretch to its a self investment my parents won't be paying anything. I just want to be able to video edit without a problem I also want to be able to run Google chrome and Photoshop and Cinema 4D without my computer slowing down to the point where it takes 15 minutes to move the mouse an inch.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:30 PM

FWIW: The upper limit of your stated amount equals about $650.

For value, I would suggest an AMD-based system, built around a barebones rather than separate components.

I don't know anything about component resources in the U.K., but I would use a site like Tiger Direct to get an idea of what components I should be looking for re maximum value.

Louis

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=10&Nav=|c:332|&Sort=4

Edited by hamluis, 04 October 2012 - 06:33 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Overclock.co.uk and ebuyer.com are two websites that sell PC components to the UK.

£400 is a bit low, you may want to increase it by another £100. I priced out a build over at Overclock, a mid-range AMD build.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 AM3+ - With an AM3+ FX CPU, you should get a 900 series based motherboard chipset. The 970 is the basic, cost effective variant. £62.99

RAM: Corsair 2GB Value Select 1333MHz DDR3 - I would buy two of these. £8.51 per stick.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition 6 Core 3.3GHz - This is not the fastest, nor slowest, FX CPU. £82.98

HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB SATA3 - This should be enough for most uses. £53.99

Case: Gigabyte GZ-X2 Black ATX - A good mid-range case, don't expect to cram huge top-tier graphics cards into it, however. £29.99

Power Supply: PowerCool 650W PC-650AUBA - I'm not familiar with this brand. This is enough to power most graphics cards. £38.99

ODD: Samsung SH-S222BB 22x SATA Dual Layer DVD-Rewritable Black - This is a standard DVD drive. £11.58

GPU: Asus 1024MB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7750 - This is a mainstream graphics card. It can handle gaming well, but lacks the performance of the 7800 and 7900 series. £76.50

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit - You need this. Windows 8 will be out in about three weeks, you may want to wait until then. £67.50

Grand Total: £458.93, all of these prices include VAT.

If you want to save a bit of money and do not game, you can remove the GPU and swap out the motherboard and CPU for the components below.

Motherboard: Asus F1A75-V PRO AMD A75 Socket FM1 - AMD's new FM2 CPU's are out, but there aren't many in stock. £78.90

CPU: AMD Llano A8 X4 3850 Quad Core 2.9GHz Socket FM1 - This is AMD's APU design that has a graphics card on the CPU itself. The GPU isn't fantastic, but can handle all standard PC activities well and light gaming. Price £72.95

3939.png

#8 rajjaak24

rajjaak24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Okay with the second CPU and taking the cost of the OS away (I have win7 Ultimate DVD) the total is £387.88, if I have the second CPU do I have to have the second motherboard as well?

Thank you very much for giving me a list of parts. That's what'll pretty much order and under £400 :thumbup2:

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

The AMD Llano uses the FM1 socket, not the AM3+ so they aren't compatible, you must use the second motherboard with the second CPU. Also, with the second CPU, you do not need a GPU unless you game or do anything needing more graphics power. Make sure your copy of Windows 7 is a full, boxed retail copy, OEM and system builder editions use a different license.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users