Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cpu

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millturn

millturn

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron with an amd processor(2.30 GHZ), 4 GB ram and running windows 7 home. It has been mostly running fine until a few weeks ago when the processor started to run at 100% all the time.
I checked the task manager and can find nothing using a great amount of ram or resources or cpu time.
It pegs itself at 100% on boot and stays that way,is crippling they computer.
I have scanned with Malware Bytes, Super anti spyware and Norton 360 which is running all the time and supposedly there are no viruses. I have also cleaned with c cleaner and defragged the hard drive and have used system restore with no change and now I am at a loss at what to do next.
Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2012 - 10:31 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:01 PM

You were doing it right.

In task manager make sure "show processes from all users" is selected. Click on the CPU column once or twice until your CPU hog is at the top so you can see it.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 millturn

millturn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

I think I do not know what numbers are good or bad in that column, after boot the windows explorer is running at 54 to 48 until I start something else then it will drop, the next highest is com surrogate at 45 to 46. It does not seem that these numbers are that high and they fluctuate constantly with no change to the cpu. I am beginning to believe that there is a hardware problem somewhere.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Download

Process explorer

Extract and launch it

See which process has high CPU Usage

#5 millturn

millturn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

I tried process explorer and found just what I found with task manager that there seems to be no process hogs, windows explorer was the highest at42 followed by com surrogate

#6 millturn

millturn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

I had a post about my cpu that runs at 100% all the time.
Mod Edit: Merged topics - Hamluis.

The task manager and Process Explorer showed nothing abnormally high so i started in safe mode to see and the cpu still was at 100% and it was. Then i went to msconfig and turned on the diagnostic start up with just basic services running and the cpu was fine. My question now is how to find the service that is causing the problem? Would I go back to msconfig and shut off things in the services tab and reboot to see if it worked?

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2012 - 10:31 AM.
Merged - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users