Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE, Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kyle25

kyle25

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

So i'be been using both ie and google chrome to surf the web and stream stuff. Now i'm not streaming like hours of movie, but usually just videos of people doing stuff on video games or even surfing the web. I can boot up my computer fine and when i first start streaming stuff it works great. But after a while of surfing the net or streaming video, its starts to get really bad lags and cut in and out. Even when i'm just browsing the internet, if if i've been looking at a couple websites, my internet connection download will drop to nothing. It goes from 400 to 700 mg's to nothing. The download speed will just completely stop. The upload speed usually always stays active, but my download speed will just dip up and down all the time. Why is this happening? I just got infected and use this site to fix my computer. I talked to Gringo who was very helpful and fixed my computer perfectly. But now i am getting these drops in my internet connection and im not sure why.

My system isn't that great. 2 GIG RAM, AMD Sempron 2.1 GZ Processor, and im running windows 7.

Thanks for any help,
Kyle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi Kyle -
First 2 GIG RAM on Windows 7 is a bit small, generally speaking, and I prefer to see 4 GIG on most systems these days (add extra RAM)..

Have you ever spoken to your Internet Provider about the dropouts and changes in reception ??
Are you running wifi or are you direct wired to your Modem by an Ethernet cable ?? Wifi will drop depending on many external conditions

Even weather changes or other general reception interferance problems can cause wifi to lose or alter the signal
If you are direct wired, do you think you may ever reach your ISPs weekly / monthly limit on downloads ??

Thanks -

#3 kyle25

kyle25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm trying to work on the ram, 2 gigs is not very good and i know my laptop can handle 8 gigs so i'm going to try and upgrade that as soon as possible. I am using wifi to connect with the router in the same room as me, i realize that even though its next to me the weather can still affect the signal. I have an unlimited amount of use with the plan i have so that can't be the problem. The RAM is what it really sounds like because i can do things fine for a while and then it seems when the RAM gets full maybe it starts to slow down. But i don't understand why that would cause my download speed to drop from 500mg to 0mg. I use the microsoft internet gaget to monitor my cpu speed and internet speed, upload and download. I'll try the service provider to see if maybe they've been having problems lately. I know the computer is clean because i just cleaned the whole thing with gringo and am now using the protection choices he recommened.

I didn't think ram would affect the internet in a way like that because when i first use it, it loads really fast and i have no problems streaming off of youtube for the first 10 or 20 minutes, and then the download speed will just go up and down from 0 to anywhere to 900mgs. So i guess it's my RAM.

I've been looking internet and trying to figure out which one to pick. There are just so many choices though and i'm afraid i'm going to buy something thats not compatabile with my laptop. Do you have any suggestions on a decent memory chip i can get to install? Also is that easy to do and can someone with basic to somewhat advanced knowledge be able to do it? I'll list my computer specs below and if you could suggest a cheap and effect card or cards i can switch out that would be very helpful.

Hewlett Packard
Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC
AMD Sempron™M120 2.1 GHz
2.00 GB (1.75 GB usable)
Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium

And i know the computer only has 2 available RAM slots so i would have to remove one or both and install 2 new ones. I would like to get to the 8GB size because thats what the info says my computer can handle and i play online games so i would like to be as fast as possible. And my graphics card is good enough for what i play so i don't need to upgrade that. So ideally i would need to put in 2 2GB cards or 2 4GB cards right?

Thank you for all your help noknojon

Sincerely,
Kyle

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

And i know the computer only has 2 available RAM slots

I would only worry about upping it to 4 GIG at this time, and make sure the sticks are matched - Fairly cheap these days -
4 Gig on most Windows7 computers seems to run quite well, and more can be wasted unless you are a gamer, or similar
Also just noticed it is a 64bit, so I would be happy with 4 Gig -

Download Speedtest from HERE and Save it to your Desktop
I always go to this if there seems to be a "slowing problem" -
Click in the Middle of the "screen" and ignore all other advertising on the page - Post back the results for us -

Also think of calling your ISP about the serious drops in reception -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 20 September 2012 - 02:17 AM.

#5 kyle25

kyle25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Ok thank you for your help,
EDIT: I contacted the service provider and they reset my line or something, they also said that my memory will affect my download speed so i guess i just need to get more ram.

Here are the results from that test. i watched a whole movie last night with minimal problems, it was off a differant website than youtube though, tubeplus, and had no problems really except for a little lag here and there which was contributed to my RAM because the download off it was way ahead of what i was watching.
Also,I play world of warcraft online so i really like the 8 gb but i don't know if i have enough for that, from what i've seen that will run me upwards of 70 dollars.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2191318003.png
Download 6.32 mps, Upload 0.95 mbs, Ping 41 ms

EDIT: Just tryed the test again after posting this and these are the results i got
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2191332065.png
Download 2.76 mps, Upload 0.94 mps, Ping 38 ms

EDIT: Third test was very similar to the second results
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2191336656.png
Download 2.73 mps, Upload 0.95 mps, Ping 40 ms

Thanks again,
Kyle

Edited by kyle25, 20 September 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Also,I play world of warcraft online so i really like the 8 gb

I still think a pair of matched 2 Gig DDR RAM sticks "should" be enough for most users, which will also be cheaper for you.
Newegg always has a few deals in the USA for these from $30 to $60 -
See HERE and HERE for details -
To find the total amount of memory that can be added , subtract the amount of memory currently in the computer from the maximum amount of memory the computer can hold. To see the maximum memory the computer can hold, go to Finding memory information for your computer model .
I think you will Max out your system with 8Gig as it is designed to run 2Gig with an Upgrade to 4 Gig being more suitable -

I hope you removed Symantec Norton Internet Security 2010 60-day Trial and replaced it with a decent Free Antivirus by now now like these >>
Be sure to only install one.
Microsoft Security Essentials Make sure you select the 64bit version (what I currently use)
Avira AntiVir
avast!
AVG (currently rated lowest of the 4 by Microsoft MVPs)
This can be added to with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free or in paid/active versions -

Regards -
EDIT - The first Speedtest result is reasonable, but the last 2 are a bit crappy in general -

Edited by noknojon, 20 September 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#7 kyle25

kyle25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Thanks for the help,

I use MSE with Malewarebytes and usually do a daily scan with SUPERAntispyware. Is the memory easy to install? Do i need to look for a specific kind or do most memory cards fit? Also would it be a bad thing to upgrade to 8GB? The price difference really isn't that much, seen 4GB for $20 while 8GB can go from anywhere to $35 to $80. So i might just get a cheap 8GB set of cards. My computer only has 2 memory slots so i would have to remove both of the cards in it to upgrade. Will this show a noticable difference while playing graffic demanding games? Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your help.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi Kyle -
Sorry that I was slow in returning to your post -
Is the memory easy to install? << Yes but ..... I would either get a handbook or download it from the internet for easy directions.
Do i need to look for a specific kind or do most memory cards fit? << Please ask a local dealer or when you order online be sure to add your Make and Model.
So i might just get a cheap 8GB set of cards << Your current (as sold) setup is rated to 2GIG so I would (personally) only run up to 4GIG (double your given specs)
Will this show a noticable difference while playing graffic demanding games? << Yes it will stop a lot of "lag" in general gaming and other usage.
You also have now mentioned Graphics, and this is one reason why I only say to go no more than 4GIG or you may be looking for a new Graphics card to match ----

Note that there seems to be several models of Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC, so I have based all this on the "general" details available to match -
All seem to only list 2GIG as installed RAM and similar Graphics cards, with only minor changes in production (E.G. 32bit or 64bit versions)

Hope some of this helps -

#9 kyle25

kyle25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thanks

Yes you answered every question i had. Thank you for all your help i really love this site. Everyone is extremely helpful and very quick to respond. Thanks for taking time to help me out, and i'll just grab the 2 2GB sticks and save myself some money.

Thanks,
Kyle

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

You are always Welcome, and glad if we helped -

:thumbsup:

#11 kyle25

kyle25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

After calling my service provider, they reset my line or something on there end. Sense then haven't had a problem streaming or with anything on the web. Can't figure out what they did or why it helped though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users