Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone using FF 15?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

After experiencing multiple issues with FF14 (notably the lack of updates for my add-ons at that time) I re-installed 13. Now I'm thinking about FF15, but would like to get people's feedback about it.

For example, the hype claims that it now does automatic updates "in the background". That's something I've NEVER wanted & would prefer to do on my own terms. Is there a way to configure this to my own personal liking?

BTW, are there still issues with Java? I had to uninstall the latest Java & go back to version 6 for a lot of stuff to work.

Thanks for your comments,

=SubMariner=

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm using it. I've never tried Java in it. I've been running Java free on this computer since the Windows 7 install.

I do have noScript, Wot and a couple of others installed. As with any add in a new version may break it.

So far it has been OK.

I should add however I never had the problems others seem to have with the older versions either. I leave it running all day on the computer and all day on my home computer on Sundays.

How do I configure update optionspreferences?
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version#w_how-do-automatic-updates-work

How do I configure update optionspreferences?

You can configure Firefox to automatically check for updates or to disable automatic updating.

At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP) and then click OptionsOn the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu and select Preferences...At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Edit menu and select PreferencesAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the Tools menu and select Options...On the menu bar, click on the Firefox menu and select Preferences...At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Edit menu and select Preferences...
Click the Advanced panel.
Click the Update tab. The auto-update optionspreferences are displayed.

Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 September 2012 - 10:53 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

I use it at home once in a while .. and use it at work everyday .. and I haven't had any issues with it either. We also use Java at work so it all seems to be flowing really well for me. :busy:

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

SubMariner,

You can turn off "...background services" through Options, Update tab. That should stop Firefox from automatically updating. Regarding Java, you could disable it in your add-ons & plugins, or you could uninstall Java if desired.

#5 SubMariner

SubMariner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

SubMariner,

You can turn off "...background services" through Options, Update tab. That should stop Firefox from automatically updating. Regarding Java, you could disable it in your add-ons & plugins, or you could uninstall Java if desired.

Thanks for the info about turning off the auto update. I hate allowing ANY program the ability to do that, even windoze.

No offense, but are you seriously suggesting that I turn Java off? And then what? Given how ubiquitous it is, that really wouldn't be feasible. Because of the problems FF has been experiencing with the most recent versions of Java, I simply uninstalled the current incarnation and installed a version I knew worked. In this case was v6.

=SubMariner=

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

For what it's worth, I installed Windows 7 on this computer in April 2011. I have never installed any Java version. It may have MS Javascript from Win7 but that would be it. I run the NoScript Extension and W.O.T. and a few others including A/V and the Adobe junk. I see no problems with things not running.

Version 6 can be Dangerous, I suggest you use the NoScript extensionfor safety so that you have to allow anything Java to run.

The NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).

NoScript also provides the most powerful anti-XSS and anti-Clickjacking protection ever available in a browser.

NoScript's unique whitelist based pre-emptive script blocking approach prevents exploitation of security vulnerabilities (known and even not known yet!) with no loss of functionality...

You can enable JavaScript, Java and plugin execution for sites you trust with a simple left-click on the NoScript status bar icon (look at the picture), or using the contextual menu, for easier operation in popup statusbar-less windows.

I would no more go on the Internet without NoScript or one of the other add-ons that provides the same protection than I would go on with expired or no Antivirus.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 September 2012 - 09:30 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,498 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

If I may,

I have considered switching back to FF, since chrome started having issues with java and flash. But I like how chrome is laid out and I have gotten used to the locations of buttons and such, but FF seems to have gotten much better with updates and addons. I tested going back to FF a few weeks ago and was very happy to find out I still knew how to use most of it. It was still just a bit to slow for me so I still use chrome. So conclusion: FF has gotten much better, but if you are used to a different browser then continue with that unless its internet explorer of course. ;)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#8 Pajajn

Pajajn

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

I actually got tired of all new versions and started testing every FF from 2010 and forward untill now and stopped at 3.6 but disabled plugin-container. Havent crashed a single time and also using minimzed tweak so using around 20MB ram when firefox isnt fullscreened with 1080p own3d stream on + several sites :thumbup2: maximum of 270MB ram so far how many pages i even use :dance:

Picture :busy: Posted Image

Edited by Pajajn, 06 October 2012 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users