Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

You need permission to perform this action - can't easily unblock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 imolaavant

imolaavant

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

This has been driving me insane. I have workarounds but they are not convenient and I really want to get to the bottom of the issue.

When downloading files from email or the internet to my desktop (or other directory) I can move and delete them, but if I try to copy them to a local or remote location I get the following message:

"You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from the computer's administrator to make changes to this folder"

I am administrator.

If I right-click > Properties on the file in question the General Tab shows "Security: This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" I can click the Unblock button, then Apply and/or OK. But the file remains blocked.

There are only two ways around this: 1) move the file to a flash drive then back to the hard drive. 2) run the streams command against the file. Both are a PITA.

Any thoughts on why the Unblock button isn't working or if there's a way to disable this whole "protection" scheme in the first place.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

I'm not going to give work arounds.I guess you have already tried gpedit.msc and security stuffs.

Download

Windows repair tool

Extract and launch the Repair_Windows.exe file

Click on Start repairs tab-click on Start

check mark following options alone

Reset registry permissions
reset file permissions

Checkmark Restart System When Finished option
click the Start button

System should restart after repair

Let me know if that helps

Does it happen on IE? Did you download files from other browser like firefox?

Edited by narenxp, 19 September 2012 - 09:43 AM.

#3 imolaavant

imolaavant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

That worked. Thanks!

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor