Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-installing XP?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigguy3

bigguy3

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Can XP be re-installed over the current XP, without affecting the other installed programs or will it wipe them out?
Thanks for taking your time with this simple question, because I really don't know.
Tom

:thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

If you are installing the same version as a repair install then it just deletes the windows files and installs them again leaving All Settings and applications as is.

That is only true is you do a repair install.

Here Are links to two sites explaining how to do it.

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm
and
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Look at both and decide.

Also you will ned to do all the Windows Updates too.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 19 September 2012 - 10:30 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Another consdieration...if you are talking about an OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) system...the answer is not so easily provided.

Those manufacturers provide restore/recovery disks which are not equal in any way to a Genuine XP CD in terms of repair functionality...your source media/method of reinstalling Windows...and the system on which you plan to reinstall...will allow for a more precise answer to your questions, IMO.

If the system is an OEM system...system manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 bigguy3

bigguy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Thank you for your replies.
This is what I want to do. I want to clone an existing xp (dell) computer to another computer, an HP, with xp on it, using Acronis True Image 2012 with plus pack, which allows for cloning to dissimilar hardware. I don't want to ... and frankly, can't, reinstall all of my software on the HP, for reasons of lost/misplaced installation software, etc. I know that I will need to install the drivers needed by the HP/XP machine ... these should be on the repair/recovery disk that came with it. Since int already has a legit copy of XP on it, will the repair/recovery disk cover that problem without any windows validation "problems"?
Thank you once again for your time and trouble.
Tom

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Well...I don't know much about OEM systems...but I do know that the recovery mechanism s employed by Dell specifcally state that they are for use only on specific Dell systems...and the mechanizms employed by OEMs generally pertain only to the the system on which the recovery/restore mechanisms were installed.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

That may not work real well, Dell did do somethings to the XP for their computers.

The next problem is that doing what you are contemplating doing is almost surely against the licensing of the installed Software that usually requires you to only use it on one computer. There are some few exceptions depending on the software.

Thus this may come into play.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/
No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 bigguy3

bigguy3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

I may not have communicated well. The software on the Dell/XP machine is all legit and allowed to be used on another computer by the same owner. This is all very old stuff. The recovery disk that I'm referring to is the one that came with the HP refurbed machine ... so it is for reinstall/recovery of the HP machine. I own all software and just don't have all of the disks any more ... it/they are years, even decades old, and, I emphasize, can be used on multiple computers/same owner. For example, an old version of Coreldraw (ver. 5), Canon photo software for my personal Canon camera, chord transcriber, and more like this. Most of this software is not compatible on my Windows 7, thus the need for a "backup" xp machine.
Thanks

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Are you sure that recovery disk has drivers and isn't just the HP XP Install disk that I have seen in the past?

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Minor correction here...

<<I own all software and just don't have all of the disks any more...>>

You don't own any software...you have a license to use ALL software in conjunction with the terms spelled out by the developer...for each/every program or O/S installed. The developer of every program...is the sole owner, with the sole exception being programs which are in the open domain, available to everyone.

I understand what you are trying to say...but I believe that you need to recognize the difference between what is and what you said.

Microsoft makes this difference a very pertinent one...concerning all its products. But they are not the sole developer of software which emphasizes these rights of ownership versus a valid license to use said software.

<<I know that I will need to install the drivers needed by the HP/XP machine ... these should be on the repair/recovery disk that came with it.>>

If an OEM system supports drivers for any version of Windows...those drivers should be able to be found at the OEM support page for that system, at the OEM website. Trying to extract drivers from a system with a recovery/restore mechanism...assuming that the drivers are actually on the disk is not necessarily valid...since OEMs may actually store such drivers on a hidden partition which is placed on the hard drive before the system ships.

Your initial question...was/is not so simple, after all.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users