Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 installed on non boot partition

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adept

adept

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

So long story short, my current os (w7) is installed on a non-boot partition of a now internal drive that used to be external. This wasn't an issue/I didn't notice because I had another unused internal hdd which DID have an old bootable os partition, and then I'd just choose the correct instance of Windows when that one booted.
I have to get rid of the old HDD with the bootable partition. Is there anyway I can change the non bootable my currant OS is on to a bootable partition (ie thru windows, cmd, bios etc).
I saw this and I'm not sure if it's relevant: http://www.pchelpforum.com/xf/threads/windows-wont-boot-after-2nd-hdd-install.83490/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

I'm not sure if this will work, but you can try and tell me what happens..:wink:

Open an elevated CMD by right-clicking on it and selecting Run as administrator.
Then, key in..(assuming that I:\ is the drive with Windows 7 on it)...
bcdboot.exe I:\Windows
Posted Image

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 19 September 2012 - 08:04 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Exactly how did you go about installing Windows on a non-bootable partition? The installation process normally makes the partition bootable as part of the installation process.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 adept

adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

It was a seagate barracuda st2000dl001-9vt156. And I dont know if it's technically bootable or not. It shows up on bios, an when I try to boot from it the screen goes black and sots with a blinking white underscore, which I assume means it's not booting

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Can you take a snapshot from Disk Management (reflecting all hard drives) and post it?

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. You will be in Disk Management.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

Louis

#6 adept

adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

Ok so I resolved it. I jus had to boot from the recovery disc, repair some stuff with bootrec then run startup repair. Much simpler than I had hoped. Thanks for you time guys!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,884 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

Glad you fixed it mate! :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users