Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling program deleted Program File Junction point

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Nairda

Nairda

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hello,

My computer is setup to use a 120gb SSD for my OS (Windows 7 ultimate 64bit) and a 2Tb hard drive for my program files, user folders etc. I use junction points to link the program files and user files from C:\ to D:\. This normally works like a charm however I recently updated iTunes and it deleted my C:\Program Files (x86) junction point and created a Program Files (x86) folder on the C:\ drive, this completely roots my system as all my Program Files (x86) are stored on my D:\ drive and now my computer can't find them since the junction point has been deleted. How can it do this and most importantly any reason as to why it's doing this? It's an easy fix on my end as all I have to do is put back in my windows installation disk boot from it and remake the junction point but it's a real pain to do it when it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Also after remaking the Junction point I decided to uninstall iTunes and it once again deleted my junction point while uninstalling.

(Note: My Program Files, and User, junction points have worked as normal and have not been deleted just my Program Files (x86) junction point. I am creating my junction points using the command mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)" "D:\Program Files (x86)" /J)

Does anyone have any ideas to why this is happening? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Nairda.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users