Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my Avast updated or not? Popup says no & hangs on initializing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

(Using Windows 7, Firefox, Avast (free), Comodo Firewall (free), Spyware Blaster (maybe Spyware Guard, maybe Windows Defender, not sure, am asking about those in separate threads)

When I first get online, I get a screen in the bottom right corner saying that my virus definitions are out of date. When I try to update, I get the famous “Updating…Step 1 / 2 Initializing, please wait…” hanging screen. I tried a fix listed in the Avast forum, but the program said my computer was not affected by it. Here's what I see when I open up Avast:

Summary Screen: SECURED Your system is fully protected.
Real-time shields: on
Definitions auto updates: on
Virus definitions version: 120306-0
Program Version: 7.0.1426
Expiration Date: 3/9/2013

Update Screen
Current Version: 120306-0
Release date: 3/6/2012 1:04:03AM
Last update attempt: 3/8/2012 6:23:22 PM

Streaming updates: Enabled
Connection: Connection established
Latest update received: 9/19/2012 1:40:46 AM

I looked up the virus definitions version and the program version, both of which seem out of date. But aren't they getting updated automatically? It says the latest update was received today.

Thanks in advance!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

We don't know what fix you tried from the avast forums as you did not provide that information.

Looking at your summary, I see that your program version of avast (7.0.1426) is out of date. The most current version is 7.0.1.466.

You can download the latest version and save it to your Desktop.
Disconnect from the Internet. Uninstall avast, reboot your computer, run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot again, then reinstall with the latest version you downloaded to your desktop.

Reconnect to the Internet and then see if the auto update is working properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

(my earlier post seems to have disappeared, so here it is again)

Thanks for the advice; it sounds like the most logical thing to do. The fix I tried before was called AvastUpdateFix. There was a lot of confusing stuff in the avast! forums, which is why I brought my question here, btw. In fact, I got pretty anxious about using avast!, from all the stories in their support forum, but that's probably going to happen in any forum that tackles problems, eh? Anyway, this is an extraordinary forum! :thumbup2:

Disconnect from the Internet. Uninstall avast, reboot your computer, run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot again, then reinstall with the latest version you downloaded to your desktop.

So then: uninstall via Add/Remove, reboot, uninstall using specific avast! Uninstall utility, reboot, then reinstall (& reboot I suppose)? (Why both uninstall methods, do they complement each other?)

also: from all the very thorough explanations of SpywareGuard's heuristic methods, I understand that it doesn't need frequent updating. However, I haven't gotten a single instance since I installed it seven months ago. I have been using the Update utility provided. Just want to be sure that's reasonable; is it?

thanks!

Edited by pantherapardus4, 21 September 2012 - 04:02 AM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:21 AM

So then: uninstall via Add/Remove, reboot, uninstall using specific avast! Uninstall utility, reboot, then reinstall (& reboot I suppose)? (Why both uninstall methods, do they complement each other?)

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. That's why many anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling or for a failed uninstall.

also: from all the very thorough explanations of SpywareGuard's heuristic methods, I understand that it doesn't need frequent updating. However, I haven't gotten a single instance since I installed it seven months ago. I have been using the Update utility provided.

SpywareGuard's strongest protection is its Browser Hijacking Protection which does not require constant definition updates (See Why is the most recent database update for SpywareGuard dated 2004?). This is because its detection abilities use a heuristic (rule-based) engine engine. Normally, for an Anti-Virus product to detect a virus, the virus must have been seen before, analyzed and detection added to the signature update files. Heuristics are used since there are some families of viruses that continually change their appearance and it is not possible to detect every variant. Heuristics allows setting up a defined set of rules so if it looks like a virus, and acts like a virus it can be detected, even if the virus has never been seen before.

SpywareGuard uses this same approach for detecting spyware. Even through its an older program, with out-of-date signatures (last updated 1/22/04), the heuristics still work at detecting attempted changes to Internet Explorer's Home Page. As such, it is still useful to some extent if you don't have another security tool which provides similar protection. If you are using another security program (i.e. SUPERAntispyware Hi-Jack (Home Page Protection), Norton Home Page Protection, Browser Sentinel, Spy Sweeper, WinPatrol, etc) that monitors attempted changes to your browser settings, then SpywareGuard will not be of much use.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

OK, I followed your instructions and now have Program version 7.0.1466 and definition version 120821-0. Am checking out the 20-day trial, too, what the heck, eh? If I notice any difficulty updating, I will update this thread, but in the meantime, thank you very much!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

You're welcome.