Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space on HP2(E:) drive.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 astropaz

astropaz

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Hi all, not sure if this is the right section but feel free to move it.

I'm running an HP Pavillion
Win7 64bit Home Premium
intel ® core ™ quad cpu q8300 @2.50 ghz

Basically I keep getting this warning that I have Low Disk Space and it shows I have about 2.7 MB left of space from 698 GB.
I had this problem back in Februrary and thought that it may have been solved but it has returned. It seems to be that the system is backing itself up and not deleting old back ups at least that is what treesize is showing me is taking up all the space
In the end I turned off scheduled back ups(it's still off) and formatted the drive amongst other things and it solved the problem temporarily. After about 6 months the warning popped up again so I cleaned up the drive a enough to not get the warning again until today.

So now I don't really know, if I have turned off the Windows backups then surely it shouldn't be backing up anymore. I'm thinking it could be part of the software that HP installed on the computer that periodically runs health checks and other things that is backing it up.
I'm not sure it is or how to check or if I even need all this HP software in the first place.

There are also a couple of files in the E: drive, a VLC media file and a numerical temp file. Not sure what they are doing there but they don't seem to be taking up space or doing anything.
Other than that it has '$RECYCLE.BIN' which is empty and 'Windows Image back up' and 'User-PC' which are the two files taking up all the space in the E drive.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Paz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

You need to have enough free space to create swap space to manage memory use. This is why you get this notice that you are low on disc space. If your free disc space is that small, I don't see how you are going to resolve it without freeing up more space. Getting rid of temp. files isn't going to be enough to provide you with the space you need. I would suggest adding an external hdd and transfer data to it to free up more space.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 astropaz

astropaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

Thing is though the drive was empty for two years before it started doing this, I thought it would all save in the factory image D: drive anyway. Anyway it shouldn't take 6 months to fill up a 698GB drive should it.
Plus like I said I switched off the auto backups so it shouldn't be filling at all.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

You could use Treesize http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/ so you could post the folders and image while the largest chunk of used space is expanded on your next reply.

Edited by jhayz, 19 September 2012 - 10:15 AM.

Tekken

#5 astropaz

astropaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Here is a screen grab from tree size, hope that gives you an idea.
As I said, it all just appears to be system backups but I don't know as I switched all that off when I had this issue in February.
I have a suspision that there is a button on the front of the PC tower for HP Easy back up and my kids press it and it does a back up but I don't know how to disable it or remove it.

Attached Files

Edited by astropaz, 19 September 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Well...just how many backups are you maintaining on the system? Why not delete the older ones...they serve no purpose if they have been superceded by more recent backups.

Louis

#7 astropaz

astropaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Clearly about 698 GB worth.

I can delete them and then in 6 months time or so the drive is full again.

Is there anything in that drive that I shouldn't delete at all?
To the best of my knoweledge unless I specifically put something in there(which I haven't) it should be an empty drive and it was empty for a couple of years.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:15 AM

The best backup would be using an external drive and not within the same drive your computer is using.

Tekken

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Short of uninstalling Windows 7 you can't delete parts of it by cleaning out files from the hdd. You can disable some applications of the operating system, but not delete them. Anything else would be at your discretion to delete.

There are several files that continue to grow, System Restore is one of these. One option you have is to disable the System Restore, this will delete the restore points. You can then either enable and limit the size of the file which will result in older restore points being deleted in order to allow new restore points. If you wish to disable or limit this application read Disable System Restore in Windows 7 - How-To Geek.
Another folder which continues to grow is the WinSxS, this folder contains multiple copies of dll files. If you look in this folder you will see what looks like duplicate dll files, but each one is for a specific application. This file can be as big as 5GB.
You have now had two members suggest that you add a second hdd to solve the problem. If it is a laptop you will need an external hdd, if you are only going to use the second hdd at home I would go with one that has its own power supply. If this is a desktop you should be able to install a second hdd internally.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 astropaz

astropaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

I don't need a HDD, I don't need to disable settings that I have already disabled I just need to know what was the cause of and how to stop these backups happening.

I don't think anyone has actually come near to being helpful or even read my problems as the answer was actually in one of my replies. It's alright, I know what the problem is and I can fix it myself.

Thanks for your time though.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Sorry for the confusion, you might be referring to this http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01178016&lc=en&dlc=&cc=us&product=3697300

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users