Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Merging Partitions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dayzmae

dayzmae

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:53 PM

OK here is the situation. I have this hard drive, the only one in the machine, that has been partitioned. Whoever did this made 'system' partition the C drive. Its size is 164gb (9gb free). And the rest of the free space is the D drive partition. It is 751gb (almost all of it still free).

I want to just 'merge' the C and D partitions. But I dont want to have to format either one. Can I just merge the mostly empty D partition and reclaim the empty space onto all of the C drive?

Again I would like to do this without formatting either partition. I also do not want to get any confusing 3rd party software if I dont have to (I know how to use other software, but I have other reasons for hoping to just do this in windows)

I may should also mention that it is a Dell system that originally had Vista on it. He had it upgraded to 7. I am guessing that when 7 was put on is when the other partition was made.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Edited by dayzmae, 18 September 2012 - 10:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Can I just merge the mostly empty D partition and reclaim the empty space onto all of the C drive?

Sorry you cannot do it via disk management

Edited by narenxp, 19 September 2012 - 02:05 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:51 AM

Yes you can. The easiest way is with http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partition-Master-Home-Edition/3000-2248_4-10863346.html

#4 th3p00r

th3p00r

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

The easiest way is to relocate your "My Documents" to the D: drive. I believe most of your stuffs would be in the folder.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

Documents do not typically account for that much space. There are a number of things that can be moved to D: if it comes to that, but that wasn't the question. You CAN merge free space from D: with C: easily with Easeus

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

Actually user is not interested in third party software

I also do not want to get any confusing 3rd party software if I dont have to (I know how to use other software, but I have other reasons for hoping to just do this in windows)

As already posted by me built in feature like shrink and extend in disk management are not going to work in this case.Third party partition softwares are the only option we have.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,562 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yes - Shrink & Extend balk when the system drive is one of the partitions you wish to resize. Easeus is simple enough as long as you take your time and follow the instructions. And of course, when performing ANY such operation, you should always back up critical data first - just in case.

#8 dayzmae

dayzmae
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Alrighty, thanks for the help. I will get Easeus and see what happens with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users