Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer booting to BIOS and shutting down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ladyminuit

ladyminuit

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi everyone, needless to say this has been a pretty frustrating night so far. I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and I run Windows XP Home Edition. My room mate spilled a drink on the TOP of my computer but at the time, nothing happened so I figured that I would dry it off and its fine. Well not long after, it all of a sudden formally shut down (Windows is saving your settings...Windows is shutting down, etc.) Somehow it started to boot itself up and it would get to the DELL BIOS screen and shut down. It's doing this in a cycle and not stopping. I have already tried to boot it in safe mode but when I try the two options it gives me (F2 and F12), it only gives me this annoying buzzing noise which I can only assume is the computer screaming at me that it can't do it. I'm hoping the drink had nothing to do with it. I can't help but thing that if it was the issue, then my computer wouldn't boot at all. I would have researched it a lot more from the internet but between it doing this and my room mate, I am pretty frustrated.

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2012 - 08:55 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

Your computer should have four diagnostic lights located on the back of the tower (possibly below the keyboard and mouse ports).

See Dell™ Dimension™ 8200 Diagnostic Codes for reference.

I'm not sure that they will be of any help; however, have a look.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 ladyminuit

ladyminuit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Actually this is quite useful. I will have a look and see if I can come up with anything. :) Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users