Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

More Storage Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nikkisixx13

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:10 PM

Hey all, I posted on here about a week or so ago about how I had to recently re-format my boot HD completely. I have a storage drive too, seagate, and for some reason I can't reformat it with any of the tools on seagates website. It says the drive itself is fine in the diagnostics checks, IE that it's WORKING...however, my drive is 80 gigs, yet the tools say that its 800 gigs and has a bunch of exclamation points after the drive name...everytime I use the tool to reformat it, it just hangs up for HOURS not doing anything. It's too late for me to save anything I had on the drive, I know that much, but I'd really just like to reformat it at this point so it's WORKING at least. The HD is only used for storage as I've said, and I bought it about 6 months ago. I'm really lost at this point, any help would ROCK!

thanks all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:42 PM

When you go to format it, does it come up with the amount of space which the drive should have (ie. in the format dialogue box)? It may have been entered wrong at some point, and as such has gone pear shaped...check the default value and make sure it matches the actual space (should be in the manual or available online..) MAYBE?? ;)
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 nikkisixx13

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

thanks for the response, but there isn't an option in the disc wizard program to change it back to it's default value. I'm still stumpped! haha

Edited by nikkisixx13, 18 March 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#4 Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 18 March 2006 - 08:43 PM

You can use the Windows utility to format your slave drive.

If you are using XP or Win2k double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop, then right click on the drive you want to format and click on "format".

I believe it will give you the choice of Fat32 or NTFS. Choose which one you want. (Microsoft recommends NTFS for XP and Win2K).

I also suggest you download Everest version 1.51 from oldversion.com. 1.51 is the last full feature freeware version of Everest.

Run it and see what it tells you about the drive in question. If it is ok it will tell you it's "healthy".

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 March 2006 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users