Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Users

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wanna-B-wiz

wanna-B-wiz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

I want to create two users in my computer without interfering with eachother ... For example if I sign in under one account and delete an icon (internet explorer) on one desktop and then sign in to the other I wont see the internet explorer icon there either.

How can i create two seperate users and be able to delete something in the desktop without affecting the other user ??

Edited by boopme, 18 September 2012 - 07:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Hi -
Is there any reason why you can not create a new user account, and then log into the one you want ??
On startup you can select which user account you wish to use -
How to create and configure user accounts in Windows XP

Note: This tool is not available on a computer that is a member of a Domain.

Is this too simple or do you need a further idea ??

Thank you -
Edited for new link -

Edited by noknojon, 18 September 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#3 wanna-B-wiz

wanna-B-wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

I am able to create to seperate users but an action taken in one of the desktops affects the other ... If I have 3 icons on the desktop (signed in as "user 1") the same 3 icons are deleted in "user 2".

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi,

It all depends on the user type created, if both the users are Administrators they can do changes affecting all the system and that's why the icons got deleted.
Also you need to know that certain settings are global and other are per user, for instance on c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop you will found shortcuts that are presented to all the users and only a Administrator can normally delete them.
On folder c:\Documents and Settings\<your user>\Desktop you can create shortcuts only for <your user> other users will not see them on the desktop.

The same applies to c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs (all users start menu groups and shortcuts) and to
c:\Documents and Settings\<your user>\Start Menu\Programs

The default Internet Explorer icon is special and if deleted its gone for everyone unless you specifically create a normal shortcut to run Internet Explorer on the user Desktop pointing to c:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 wanna-B-wiz

wanna-B-wiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thank you .. this makes much sense !!! :thumbsup:

Edit: Deleted unnecessary quote, to be more dialup friendly, and reduce forum post clutter. ~ Animal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users