Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tiger Direct and Joy Systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cesmith78

cesmith78

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I would love to buy a refurbished Thinkpad from Tiger Direct. My budget is around $300 so of course I can't afford a brand new one, but I would like to get something of better quality then the brand new computers I can afford. My main concern is that the 1 year warranty is through some operation called Joy Systems. Does anyone have any experience with them good or bad?

Edited by cesmith78, 18 September 2012 - 05:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

TD (and, I suspect, other vendors) has been dumping laptops for the last month (at least).

Rather than encourage you to put money into an outdated system with very limited warranty and an unknown past...I suggest that you see if you can increase your budget just a bit and take a look at some sample systems available.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-X53U-FS11-Dual-Core-Processor-Windows/dp/B008VMDKQU/ref=sr_1_75?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1348165660&sr=1-75&keywords=laptop

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3184126&CatId=4938

Just a few that I noted randomly searching.

As for warranty...on a new system, the warranty lies with the manufacturer (who is also liable for support) and you avoid loose ends.

IMO, no point in investing in the system you chose...when you can avoid potential pitfalls by upping the ante for a new system for just a few dollars more. The free shipping available on some systems...partially offsets the increased budget outlay, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I'll go one step further after reading Louis's reply.

My suspicion is that the refurbished laptop on these various sites are not being refurbished by the manufacturer.
Further from reading user reviews that have bought these elsewhere I am going to speculate that these are units coming off lease. Being sold in large lots to someone that is "Refurbishing" them. They are probably doing as little as possible where it costs money.

It seems from my reading it is just the throw of the dice if you get one that is well worn and shows it or one that looks like new. Same thing with battery life. I suspect that on most of these the batteries are nearing the end of useful life. Who know how many hours of life are left in the screen and drives.

If it were I, I would rather spend $300 + a little more to get a brand new laptop with new laptop warranty. I have been seeing inexpensive models at the $329 price point on sale. Also that will get you Windows 7.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users