Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Os

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:38 PM

Hello all. Complete newbie(senior). Ihave computer built in '91. Running Win98SE. 32MB RAM, intel celeron processor, total space 9756MB, avail space 4173 MB. My ?, can I remove Win 98 and install XP on this comp & if so is it worth it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

You would have to increase you RAM, 32MB isn't enough even according to M$, most people will sugget at least 256MB of RAM. The porblem is with a computer of this age, RAM is going to be hard to get, and expensive. Another problem with this old of a machine is the 32MB may be it's max capacity, we would need the make and model to find out what its capacity is, and what type it will take.

If you are going to purchase the XP, I would highly suggest that you consider investing in a new machine, such as a Dell, Hp, or even Gateway. You can get a computer that will absolutely blow the doors off of you current machine for around $300.

If you still wish to pursue this, please provide us with some more spec, such as...

Make and model, if it is home brew what is the motherboard and PCU
Size of the hard drive

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:24 PM

Thank you. Where can I find this additional info?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:59 PM

Download and run the program Everest Home. This program will tell you everything relative about your computer.
If I had to guess, your computer is a Penitum 60, 66, or 90mhz. Referring to it bing built in 1991. Like dc3 stated your problem will be the motherboard will max out at probabily 64mb.
A new computer with mininum 512 mb of RAM would be your best option. You can get away with 256mb, but I believe you will run into a shortage of resoruces once you have all of the proper security software to secure XP from malware.
If money is not a primary concern post a thread here asking for advice about building a computer. I will be alot of fun and you will learn lot in the process.
Here are some turn key units. I like Dell but in truth, there is not much difference between these. Remember these are ENTRY level computers. Make sure the one you pick (If you pick one) has a monitor included, min. 512mb of RAM, and comes WITH the restore\recovery disks.

Dell Entry Level

HP Entry Level

Gateway Entry Level
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

Thank you acklan for your input. Will check out Everest Home but I fear you all are right about getting new machine. Money is an issue. Fixed income. Shooting for late Fall for new comp. Trying to do some "stuff" on E-Bay, old machine is holding me back. Glad I found this sight. You don't make me feel stupid. I'm learning a lot just reading everything on this site. Thanks again.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

You are NOT stupid. You are uninformed and we can fix that....also.
OK here is where I probabily start a debate with other members.
First what do you want to do with this computer? If the one you have has work fine until now your requirements are probabily minimun. Internet, light word processing, simple online JAVA based gaming? I have several computers at the house that is exactly what they are used for. The are P-III 500hmz with 512mb of RAM running W2k (I think of it as XP lite).

My recommendation:

1) Find you a copy of Windows 2000 Professional. You need not pay more than $70. Make sure it has the 25 digit code (known as the COA). This should be your firat purchase.

2) Next look in the local paper , State or county auctions, local used computer stores or clubs, for used P-III 450mhz with min 128mb of RAM. W2k has minimun requirement and for now will run with 128mb. My favorite used computer is the Dell GX1 or GX1p. In my option they are bullit proof. Avoid ebay not because it's bay but because of the shipping.

3) If you have the money look for a 17" at the same places as in 2) If not for now use the one you have.

After you buy Windows 2000 Pro you shold be able to pick up a use P-III for about $50 or less. Used 17" monitors can be had for $30 or less. Also your local thrift or Goodwill Store may have a treasure in the trash.

New computers are great if you have the money, but a good used computer can still serve you well. Just do not send a lot.
Can't wait to hear from you.

Good luck

#7 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the kinds words and great info on used equipment acklan. My computer use until now consisted of e-mail to communicate with my grown children and research for my two hobbies & info on prospective purchases for thew house. I now want to try to set up to do a little bisiness on e-bay to supplement fixed income. I've been discouraged with slowness of current setup. Win2000Pro will be better?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:54 AM

You will be amazed how much better than 98. It will run fine on just 128mb, but if you can afford it 256mb would be perford (512mb would aleave all problem). What type of internet connection do you have and wht part of the country do you reside?

#9 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:58 AM

Have cable connection & live in northeast Ohio. I believe part of problem (slowness) is that Windows may be corrupted. Iget weird error msgs.IE fails to connect to internet. I was using Firefox but am now using Opera. Have CWshredder,Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, &ZA Firewall, Bit Defender trial anti-virus. So far so good, but have concerns when I revert back to free ZA. That gave me fits , locking up etc.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:08 AM

You have all of those programs running with only 32mb of RAM? Wow. Are you using a router?
Try this. Unplug the modem, and the backup battery if it has one, and the router if you have one. Turn your computer off. Wait one minute. Start by plugging the Modem in first, and wait one minute. Then plug the router in and wait one minute. After all the indicator light are on, on the router boot the computer. Try to access the internet.

Modify: If you do not have a router disreguard the instructions about the router.

Edited by acklan, 17 March 2006 - 08:10 AM.

#11 Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga

Ibinevrwr2Y2Ga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 08:39 AM

That seems to have done the trick. I logged in using IE just to test. I like Opera better. Firefox is OK but tabs are annoying. Thanks a heap for all your help & suggestions. I'm going to be on the lookout for the used equipment you suggested & then get Wk2 Pro.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 07:38 PM

I am glad things are working out. I am interested to see how things work out. Keep us posted.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users