Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP address via DSL always the same - why?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

Windows 7 Home Edition, SP 1

I have a DSL connection via Frontier. Every time I log in, I notice that I always get the same IP address. Even if I execute ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew, I still get the same address. Does this make sense? Am I reading the output of ipconfig correctly? Does ipconfig accurately show my IP address as seen from the Internet, or only as seen from the DSL modem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:11 AM

Many providers will attempt to issue you the same IP address every time you connect. This may be what's happening.

When you do a ipconfig, you may just be releasing/renewing your local LAN IP. If the IP address of a ipconfig shows as 192.168.X.X, 172.16-31.X.X, or 10.X.X.X, then you are getting a private IP. To confirm your real WAN IP, visit a site such as http://www.speedtest.net/, which gives your real IP in the bottom left corner of the flash app.

If you want to try to get a new one - turn your DSL modem off for 10-20 minutes, turn it back on and check it again. If you're getting the same IP, they may be issuing you an IP based on your MAC address.

#3 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Thank you!! This is what I love about this site. People helping people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users