Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Task Management Start up programmes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TC8

TC8

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

I have 75 programmes running in the task management and probably twice as many programmes on there saying stopped my laptop is so slow because of this, can I try and delete all of the stopped ones? I have been trying to have a look at the 40,000+ database but I think I just keep getting the top 10. Half of the names I have searched have come back as not found. I have a very bad short term memory and I am finding all of this very difficult as the programme names are normally a group of letters and numbers, some of them make sense when you see the explanation but with this memory of mine I find it a huge headache. As you can tell I'm a bit of a dinosaur with all this modern technology so please excuse the lack of computer lingo. My question is, Is there any easier way of sorting out my startup programmes? I've written down the programmes in my add and delete programmes that I have on my laptop just incase I lose any of them but I do fear that I don't need a few of them either. So perhaps I have 2 problems. Would you recommend SUMo, Revo Uninstaller or Defraggler? I use CCleaner every day which I know is simlar to Defraggler. I noticed a while back that when my updates install the list just gets longer, do the old installations ever get wiped off? I would appreciate any help whatsoever, please be patient with my poor brain. Thanx TC8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi,
If you do a Ctrl + Alt + Del keys to bring up the task manager, and check the bottom of the windows where it says :Show Processes From All Users" What is the CPU and Memory usage showing. All slowness is not necessarily related to the amount of programs loaded.

Can you do the following so we can see details of your system?

• [
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Thanks
Roger

P.S. I do not suggest deleting anything. Unless by Delete you mean Uninstall? Even then you have to be careful that the removal does not impact proper operation of the computer. Certain brands, such as Dell, Sony, Toshiba toi name a few, load programs that make them operate more efficiently.

Edited by rotor123, 18 September 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

An important point to make: Task Manager shows you running processes and programs. Many of those are not startups. You need to use something else to identify startups.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users