Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severe Vulnerability being actively exploited in Internet Explorer.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:10 PM

An unpatched vulnerabiilty in Internet Explorer is actively being used by malicious attackers that can allow remote code execution on an exploited computer. This would allow a malicious web site to have the ability to execute commands on the remote computer using the same privileges as the logged in user. These commands could include having the compromised computer download and run other software or create accounts. As this vulnerability is currently unpatched it is strongly suggested that you switch to a browser such as Chrome or Firefox until a patch is created and released.

Microsoft has issued a Security Advisory (2757760) discussing this vulnerability and that they are investigating it. As this is a severe vulnerability, it is expected that Microsoft will release an out-of-band patch rather than waiting for a patch tuesday release.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

Microsoft is now advising all Internet Explorer (versions 6-9) users (IE 10 is not affected) to install the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET).

Deploying EMET will help to prevent a malicious website from successfully exploiting the issue described in Security Advisory 2757760. EMET in action is unobtrusive and should not affect customers’ Web browsing experience.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2012/09/17/microsoft-releases-security-advisory-2757760.aspx
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/net-us-microsoft-browser-idUSBRE88G1CA20120918

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Looks like they want you to do all of these things:

Deploy the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
This will help prevent exploitation by providing mitigations to help protect against this issue and should not affect usability of websites.

Set Internet and local intranet security zone settings to "High" to block ActiveX Controls and Active Scripting in these zones
This will help prevent exploitation but may affect usability; therefore, trusted sites should be added to the Internet Explorer Trusted Sites zone to minimize disruption.

Configure Internet Explorer to prompt before running Active Scripting or to disable Active Scripting in the Internet and local intranet security zones
This will help prevent exploitation but can affect usability, so trusted sites should be added to the Internet Explorer Trusted Sites zone to minimize disruption.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Microsoft FixIt is available for automatically making changes. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757760#FixItForMe

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:17 AM

Official patch on sep 21

http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2012/09/19/internet-explorer-fix-it-available-now-security-update-scheduled-for-friday.aspx

Edited by narenxp, 20 September 2012 - 04:18 AM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

Thanks

#7 bjett

bjett

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:11 AM

My ISP disabled my internet service this morning saying thatI downloaded copyrighted movies. I never do that, so I am guessing hijacking. Could it be related to this IE issue?

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,665 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

I doubt it. Do you use torrent programs at all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users