Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp not booting up, lsass.exe - System Error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tubbytiger

tubbytiger

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Can anyone help with this?

I have an Asus Eee pc 901 laptop running on Windows XP.
When I power it up I get the following error message popping up:

lsass.exe - System Error

Insufficent system resources exist to complete the API.

The only option available is to click OK, which reboots and ends up back at the same error.
I've tried starting in safe mode, but that leads to the same error.
Windows XP Professional is the only option available in the "select operating system" screen.
I've also tried booting from "Last Known Good Configuration" which also brought me to the same error.

Most of the solutions I've found online are scuppered by one of the above points, or by the fact that I don't have any boot discs available.
I was recently given this laptop as a hand-me-down and don't know any of it's history.

I'm not a complete novice, but not far off it!

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/insufficient-system-resources-exist-to-complete/a617c819-25c8-4930-9c09-6c2c3396ad2a?msgId=b1202ee1-6b96-49c9-874d-efb5e6f70e65

Louis

#3 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

lsass.exe is the Local Security Authentication Server file. It verifies the validity of user logons, then generates various processes used to initiate bootup. lsass.exe may be damaged, or it may have been replaced by a virus such as the Sasser worm. In either case, the security registry will be unable to function correctly, interfering with bootup.

In order to fix this you will need an alternate method to access your Windows files and repair the damage. Burn Knoppix (http://knoppix.net) to a CD, then boot to the Knoppix disc (you may need to change your boot order in the BIOS first. See: http://tiny.cc/BIOS-boot-order if you need instructions). Now perform the following:

1) Rename "c:\windows\sytem32\config\security" to security.bak

2) copy c:\windows\system32\repair\security to the location above.

Remove the Knoppix disc. Reset your BIOS to the correct boot order if needed, then see if you can successfully reboot to Windows.

#4 tubbytiger

tubbytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:20 PM

To hamluis
Thanks, but the info on that link doesn't help me. I am unable to boot to recovery console. Windows XP Professional is the only option that appears.

To Cypod
This model does not have a CD drive so unfortunately I cannot try your suggestion.

Thanks though.

#5 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:11 AM

You can put Knoppix on a USB drive and boot Knoppix from the that. The Moderator many well be right when he hinted via that link that you might not have enough free space on your hard disk to boot. Before you attempt my previous suggestion, try removing some non-essential files with Knoppix to free up some space first, then see if you can boot to XP.

Edited by Cypod, 19 September 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#6 tubbytiger

tubbytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

I can't seem to get the laptop to boot from the USB.

I downloaded Knoppix V7.0.4CD (it was the most up to date torrent I could find, and had the most people seeding) and ran the universal installer on your link.
The USB stick now shows all the knoppix and autorun type contents I would expect.
I've set the laptop's BIOS to boot first from removable device and plugged in the USB stick, but it's still going straight to windows, and the error message.

Any more ideas?

Also, thanks for trying to help me with this.

#7 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

Glad to try and help. Let's backup a bit, though...

Before we go any further, this may or may not work on your machine but have you already tried accessing Eee PC's Recovery Partition by pressing the F9 key during bootup? (note that you will have to disable Boot Booster in BIOS setup before trying this). This will overwrite your data of course, but if that's not a major concern, it's certainly worth a try.

#8 tubbytiger

tubbytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

OK, I've tried that, but there's not Boot Booster option in my BIOS.
I tried pressing F9 during bootup too but nothing happened.

#9 tubbytiger

tubbytiger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

Progress!!
I found the option and disabled "quick boot" and "quiet boot" then eventually stumbled my way booting from the USB and into Knoppix.
I'm unfamiliar with this system though and am unsure how to use it for cleaning out disk space.
The guides I've found online suggest that the knoppix screen should feature icons for drives, but the only icon I have is for a knoppix folder. I've looked around but can't seem to find anything that resembles the what I'd expect the laptop's C drive to look like.

Edited by tubbytiger, 22 September 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#10 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

The C drive will typically show up in a directory named "sda1". Find it using the Knoppix folder. To find it via the desktop menu, look in the bottom left corner for a bird-like icon. To the right of that is an icon that looks like a short chest of drawers. Click once on the drawers icon to open a file manager window. More tips for navigating Knoppix can be found here (scroll down to "How To Use Knoppix?").

Edited by Cypod, 23 September 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#11 paul-l

paul-l

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

lsass.exe is the Local Security Authentication Server file. It verifies the validity of user logons, then generates various processes used to initiate bootup. lsass.exe may be damaged, or it may have been replaced by a virus such as the Sasser worm. In either case, the security registry will be unable to function correctly, interfering with bootup.

In order to fix this you will need an alternate method to access your Windows files and repair the damage. Burn Knoppix (http://knoppix.net) to a CD, then boot to the Knoppix disc (you may need to change your boot order in the BIOS first. See: http://tiny.cc/BIOS-boot-order if you need instructions). Now perform the following:

2) copy c:\windows\system32\repair\security to the location above.

Remove the Knoppix disc. Reset your BIOS to the correct boot order if needed, then see if you can successfully reboot to Windows.

First time in since XP started that I had ever seen this error, This worked perfect, I used Hirens 15, then Mini Xp, then found file security renaming it to a .bak file

then replaced with correct location at 2) copy and pasted security file from c:\windows\repair\security to the location above.

I soon found an issue, I had filled my hard drive! System now booted and working again, BIG THANKS!!!! You saved me from hours of work, ignore the other sites telling you to wipe the system and re-install!

Edited by paul-l, 15 December 2014 - 10:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users