Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

$Windows.~Q and Inplace.~Q

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:12 PM

Anyone know why I would have these files when I have never upgraded from Vista? The machine has always been Windows 7. Thanks for all input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi -
This is the usual way to explain them ........ So you’ve upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 and you’re wondering what those new hidden folders are doing in the root of your system drive, wasting 1+ GB of space. They are system protected, so should you really delete them?

Not exactly sure why they exist, but here is a way to remove them if you wish >>>
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6685/what-are-the-inplace.tr-and-windows.q-folders-and-can-i-delete-them/

Regards -

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I have not upgraded. Why would they be present at all?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:43 PM

Hi -
Sorry but I can not give you that answer as I have searched my Win 7 Home Premium 32bit and they do not exist.
This may be because I have used Disk Cleanup on a regular basis since I had the computer, or there may be another reason.

I also do all the regular things like Disk Check, Defrag, and I also run Antivirus and Antimalware programs every day.
These files do not exist, and I have never noticed them, but then this is the first time I have ever heard of them.

Did the solution I posted work for you, as it is one of the few actual solutions listed that I could find -

Regards -

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

This issue can occur if Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) was downloaded by Windows Update but has not yet been installed.

Link
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

Thanks m0le -
I missed that one because I thought it still related to Vista to Win7 upgrade -

@ bwrighttwo -
Have you updated to Windows7 SP1 yet, and how did you do it ??
Was it by Windows Updates or by a download version ?? This may be the answer you are looking for -

Regards -

#7 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

That machine was done via a new Windows 7 disk using original key. Not the key from the new disk. I did delete files using disk cleanup. I did leave the upgrade logs though. I now have another question. I just noticed another machine I have is now running "Windows 7 Enterprise" It was also re-installed with the same Home Prem. disk. I think? :crazy: :crazy: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: Sorry, but I now know how to use these cartoon things. :hysterical:

#8 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

That machine was done via a new Windows 7 disk using original key. Not the key from the new disk. I did delete files using disk cleanup. I did leave the upgrade logs though. I now have another question. I just noticed another machine I have is now running "Windows 7 Enterprise" It was also re-installed with the same Home Prem. disk. I think? :crazy: :crazy: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: Sorry, but I now know how to use these cartoon things. :hysterical:

Why use the "cartoon things" at all ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,560 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

<<I just noticed another machine I have is now running "Windows 7 Enterprise".>>

Enterprise is a volume-licensing edition, attuned to business users.

No Enterprise edition of Windows should be expected to be on a home user system, IMO.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/next-steps/license-options.aspx

Louis

#10 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

How could this be possible without installing this version? I know for a fact that I have only installed 7 Home Premium.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:22 PM

<<I just noticed another machine I have is now running "Windows 7 Enterprise" It was also re-installed with the same Home Prem.>>

Reinstalled from what ?? Did the computer once have another version installed, or are you confused ??

Read this Wiki article and it shows that they are not related in any way -

#12 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

I think I figured out how this happened. I will let you know for sure when I check it. Thanks for all the input. Well, almost all the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users