Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus/hack messed up system, many initialisation errors

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hogfather 2010

hogfather 2010

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

this morning, when booting my computer (Windows XP Pro), the screen was unexpectedly at 4-bit colour & 640x480 resolution, with no way to change it. After restarting twice (second time I wanted to load safe mode and missed the mark), the graphical issue was resolved. However, I got many error messages during initialization of various startup programs and eventually a BSOD.

I tried booting in safe mode, but the system will hang (freeze?) when loading "MUP.Sys". Attempts to launch system recovery from the normal startup is met with a "failed to initialize" message. As is launching firefox. Also, when navigating the start menu it takes a long time to load the next submenu.

Eventually I can get into safe mode, when the system does a disc check for corrupted sectors (the 3 step process between the DOS boot and the login screen for XP) and I try to load a recovery point froma few days ago. However, while the process seems to run as it normally does in safe mode, when it reboots (to load the recovery point), it hasn't affected anything. The system still behaves the same and it doesn't seem like anything has been changed with the system restore.

At this point I start to write down the exact error messages I get (in no particular order, some in one boot "session", some in another. you'll find them at the end of this post.

This is a system with 1 hard drive with 2 partitions. I formatted the second partition and installed a different XP PRo version on it. This is where I'm now typing from. For the most part it functions the same - however: the game FTL gives a memory error when loading: "the application failed to initialize properly (0xc01500002) click ok to terminate the appplication" Update: according to the game's forum this is caused by not having Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable installed I'll try that in 8ish hours (it's 1am here atm); the game Qasir al-wasat works without problems and the game Gateways will be tested as soon as it's installed. edit: this also works as it should. I don't have bandwidth to try a graphics-intensive game like a shooter atm; sorry about that.

I've given both partitions a scan with AVG from this new XP Pro and it discovered security threats in documents and settings\reload\ that it removed, but that didn't fix the problems.

The problem now is this: I can't do anything with the original drive. It is slow as hell and 99% of programs fail to initialise or don't have permission. Or a different, similar, error. Best case scenario: this gets fixed. Worst case scenario: I nuke the entire drive, reinstall everything. I need to be sure the backups don't have the same virus/worm/whaterever (if that's what caused it) with them. Second-best: I migrate what I can save to the D: partition, format C: reorganise from there.

Is there a way to fix this?

These are the error messages:

Cisco VPN Client: Validation failed for c:\windows\system32\vsdata.dll
hpwvschd2.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
Rundll32.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
qttask.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
avgnt.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
cfp.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
amd_dc_opt.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
jushed.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
ctfmon.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
rstrui.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)
quickstart.exe: failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)

(ALWAYS THE SAME ADRESS)

[my name]\desktop is not accessible. Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
[inverted !]18nisolang1msc.dll was not found
avira.free.antivir: load main resource failed
epu-4 engine: cannot open file c:\program files\asus\epu-4 engine\resource\pentagon.png

One of the (4) BSOD's I got was this:
STOP: C000007B {Bad image}
The application or DLL \??\ c:\windows\system32\msctf.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check against your installation diskette.

Edited by hogfather 2010, 17 September 2012 - 07:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users