Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume (only worse than that)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 krissytan

krissytan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hey guys! I have a problem.. I have an Alienware Aurora m9700 laptop that runs Windows XP Media Center.. well, at least it used to - but I digress.

This poor old thing has been thru it, but up until recently, it has worked. Now, when I turn on the pc, I get the normal startup screen, then halfway through the Windows XP load screen, I get the blue screen of death that says "Unmountable Boot Volume." So yeah, I read all over the internet about putting in the restore cd so that I can use the chkdsk option and fix it.. or format, whatever.. and well, although I do have this remarkable Alienware restore cd, I put it in and guess what? The cd rom drive don't work. It was starting to crap out on me before this issue happened, but now it REALLY don't work. I tried not only my restore cd, but a friend of mine was letting me use his copy of Windows XP Media Center.. nope, didn't work. So I read some more online.. thought that maybe I could boot from a usb flash drive I have. I download WinToFlash and put the system crap on there and plug it in.. no option to boot from usb in the BIOS. Anyone know what I could possibly do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

The first thing that comes to mind is to purchase another DVD drive, but money isn't always available, so let's try this.

How to Create a PLoP Boot Manager CD

Download PLoP Boot manager, and extract the files from the Zip to your Desktop.
Burn the plpbt.iso to a CD using your favorite CD/DVD burning software.
Insert your Newly created PLoP Boot CD and your USB Flash Drive.
Reboot your PC and set your System BIOS to boot from the CD.

If all goes as planned, you should now be presented with an alternate Boot Manager that can be used to boot your USB Flash Drive or other device.

Note: In some cases the Flash Drive will actually appear as a hard disk.

These instructions are found at this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 krissytan

krissytan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Do you think that would work even though the cdrom drive doesn't?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

If you can use another computer and copy the installation disc, make an ISO file and transfer that to a flash drive, yes. You would then be booting from the flash drive.

Just thought of the next question you may have, what is an ISO file, it's a bootable file. If you don't have software that will do this, try using My link.

Edited by dc3, 17 September 2012 - 07:05 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

FWIW: How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#6 krissytan

krissytan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Working on it right now.. will let you know the results.

#7 krissytan

krissytan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

I extracted the ISO file to the usb and it didn't work. The BIOS is set to read the cdrom, then hdd.. no option to select for it to boot from the usb.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

If you are unable to boot to CD or flashdrive, then perhaps a viable alternative for you might be to remove the hard drive from the laptop and connect it to another Windows based computer (preferably directly to the motherboard of a desktop computer) and from there:
  • Retrieve backup copies of any important personal files.
  • Run a diagnostic utility to check the hard drive (for bad sectors which may be responsible for the file corruption causing the problem).
  • Run Window Error Checking (chkdsk with the /p or /r switch) to repair the disk file-system and hopefully fix the problem.
Then put the hard drive back into the laptop and test to see if it will boot normally into Windows.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users