Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics problem with blue squiggly lines and BSODs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SilentSinnerInBlue

SilentSinnerInBlue

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

First off, I want to say that I think my computer needs a new graphics card. But I'm not sure so I'm coming here for help.

My computer is unable to run video games because of a graphics issue. There are faint blue squiggly lines on my desktop background and certain colors, videos, and pictures. But the biggest problem I have is that I can't have my graphics card enabled or have installed drivers.

Whenever I have drivers installed, the computer on start-up would go into a BSOD (I encountered the following STOP codes: 50, 24, 8E, 7F). My only choice then would be go into safe mode. If I disable my video card, then I can boot up my computer normally even with drivers installed.

This all started when I started playing Guild Wars 2. Last Wednesday, when I was playing Vindictus, my computer suddenly froze with blue squiggly lines across the monitor. This happened after playing approximately two hours of Guild Wars 2. After a few hours of waiting and cleaning out the dust bunnies of the computer, it somehow fixed itself and it was back to normal for a couple of days. Then on Friday, I played Guild Wars 2 again for three hours. Then I played Vindictus right after. Then the same problem happened again, only that it persisted to today.

Whenever I opened the computer up, everything seemed to be fine. I never sensed any odd smell coming from any of the parts. So I don't think anything was severely fried.

Here are my specs straight from dxdiag(Let me know if you need more):
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc
System Model: XPS 630i
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 3324MB RAM
Page File: 511MB used, 6368MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Graphics Card: Dual Nvidia Geforce 9800GT SLI (I had to type this out since DxDiag did not output this info due to my video card being disabled atm. They are connected via an SLI bridge The monitor cable is plugged up to the first video card. The second video card is basically deadweight that can still turn its fan. I remember plugging the monitor cable to its port and there was just a black screen. That and before the problem, the computer would not recognize it as well. I do not know why I still have the video card in my processor.)
I am not sure about my power supply. But it is most likely 720 watts.

If I were to get a new graphics card, I plan to get a single Asus - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card. Would it be compatible with my system if I would get a new one?

I am currently at my wit's end right now. And I feel my only choices are to get a new graphics card or reformat my computer. So help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2012 - 05:03 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users