Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying files from an infected drive to new drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 VaDAR_

VaDAR_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

What i want to achieve is to copy the contents (250GB) to my new drive, the only issue is that it has possible infections and i dont mean typical malware garbage either.

If i was to plug the infected internal drive into the port while computer is on ofc, would that then stop all forms of the infection including risks of cross contamination because it acts only as a USB device. (autorun pre-disabled on my system)
Would this be ok to do?

please help me out with these methods and alternative options, thank you all :)

contents are:

pdf, exe, movie types, txt and mp3 files.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2012 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just a casual observation...it might help to know...just what you were/are infected with.

The one thing that many seem to forget when advising re such...is that file extensions don't mean a lot when it comes to malware. To proclaim any file "safe" based on file extension...is just lacking good sense, IMO.

Your question is interesting, since it often comes from users who failed to backup before the infection.

I'm going to move your question to a more appropriate forum for a knowledgeable answer.

Louis

#3 VaDAR_

VaDAR_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Perhaps i wasn't clear enough sry, i want to copy contents from an infected drive to a new hdd this has nothing to do with malware garbage such as the re-directing of this thread, it's an entirely different procedure from what i want to achieve.

so please answer me

If i was to plug the infected internal drive into the port while my computer is on, would that then stop all forms of infection including the risks of cross contamination because as i understand it acts only as a USB device. (autorun pre-disabled on my system)
Would this be safe to do?

Edited by VaDAR_, 19 September 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

That should be OK.
Although if the file is infected you will copy the infected file also. It will not run until opened.

2 guidelines/rules when backing up

1) Backup all your important data files, pictures, music, work etc... and save it onto an external hard-drive. These files usually include .doc, .txt, .mp3, .jpg etc...
2) Do not backup any executables files or any window files. These include .exe/.scr/.htm/.html/.xml/.zip/.rar files as they may contain traces of malware. Also, .html or .htm files that are webpages should also be avoided.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 VaDAR_

VaDAR_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

This kind of Virii is mostly likely MBR and Rootkits so am i still to continue with this boop? just as long as i dont allow the computer to restart and let the bios detect it right?

Edited by VaDAR_, 19 September 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

I would scan the external with an antivirus.
The MBR issue would be on the infected drive and not the files. Since you are not copying the whole drive,omly files that won't carry over.

Rootkits, backdoor Trojans, Botnets, and IRC Bots are very dangerous because they compromise system integrity by making changes that allow it to by used by the attacker for malicious purposes. Rootkits are used by Trojans to conceal its presence (hide from view) in order to prevent detection of an attacker's software and make removal more difficult. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. They can disable your anti-virus and security tools to prevent detection and removal. Remote attackers use backdoors as a means of accessing and taking control of a computer that bypasses security mechanisms. This type of exploit allows them to steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which is send back to the hacker. To learn more about these types of infections, you can refer to:

What danger is presented by rootkits?
Rootkits and how to combat them
r00tkit Analysis: What Is A Rootkit

The only way to be sure you do not back these up is to scan the infected drive with some specific rootkit tools before backing up.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 VaDAR_

VaDAR_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Just to clarify i do not have an external hdd nor need one which is why ive been saying internal the whole time we been discussing this matter.

Boop, now that you're aware of the potential virii threats of my old internal hdd is suffering from. Allow me to repeat and rephrase the original question.

So long as i do not allow the computer to restart with the internal infected hdd in my computer, nothing bad can come out of this procedure right?

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

sorry,I did mean clean drive when I said external.
You should be good to go as long as you only take files.

#9 VaDAR_

VaDAR_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

OK, thanks boop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users