Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh install of Windows 7 running like molassus

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Tofucube

Tofucube

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

So i was having some computer problems for a few months and i finally throught i had figured out that it was my motherboard that was causing it. I was getting a lot of BSOD and my computer wouldn't even start up and would constantly restart.

I just installed a new motherboard, processor and ram in my computer. I did a fresh install of windows 7 ultimate edition 64 bit on it and its running super almost unusably slow. I've installed windows twice, the first time it was running alright but seemed to slow down with just certain programs. Now after the second instal the system is running even worse. Turn it on and it takes 3 minutes for the system to respond to just open chrome.

I've checked my processes and ram and cpu usage never spikes. I've never seen the cpu get above 15% usage so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Safe mode is quicker but certain things still seemed to not work right such as uninstalling programs seemed to get caught in a loop.

I'm looking for suggestions on troubleshooting this. I'm not really sure what else to do at this point other than reinsal windows again.

specs
Intel i5-3470
Asus P8Z77-V LK
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8 gig PC3-12800
EVGA GTX 260
Western digital Green 1tb
Corsair HX620 psu
Windows 7 Ultimate with service pack 1 installed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi Tofucube,

After the Windows installation, did you use the CD that came with your motherboard or did you go to the Asus website and download all the latest drivers?
  • I would recommend downloading all the lastest drivers from the website.
  • Also, Asus Update (included in AI Suite II) is a safe way to update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.

To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • During installation, uncheck "Install the free Google Toolbar along with Speccy."
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

thanks for the reply artrooks

I had to use the CD that came because the network adaptor would not work without it so getting online wasn't possible. afterwards i went to asus website and downloaded the drivers and installed them while avoiding too many utilities. I did install the AI suite II and updated the bios. However it was right around that time that stuff started to get worse so i thought that AI suite may have been a issue. I actually recovered windows back before the install to no avail. Though now that i'm thinking of it i hadn't considered the idea that the bios update was the cause of more issues.

Also this may be a minor detail but i first installed windows with a copy of windows 7 64 bit ultimate without service pack 1 on the disk. As imentioned before it ran but had weird slowdowns. I had noticed or thought i noticed a small improvement when service pack one was installed so i got myself a copy of windows 7 ultimate with service pack 1. Things got much worse after that install. Both are legitimate copys of windows though i downloaded from MSDN.

I'll download piriform and get you the info when i get home tonight.

Hi Tofucube,

After the Windows installation, did you use the CD that came with your motherboard or did you go to the Asus website and download all the latest drivers?

• I would recommend downloading all the lastest drivers from the website.
  • Also, Asus Update (included in AI Suite II) is a safe way to update the motherboard BIOS to the latest version.

To help us get a better look at your computer's hardware, please download and install Speccy by Piriform. (mirror site)
  • During installation, uncheck "Install the free Google Toolbar along with Speccy."
  • Run Speccy and from the top menu, select File --> Publish Snapshot. Click "Yes" to proceed.
  • Click, Copy to Clipboard and paste this address into your next post.

#4 Sarah Gates

Sarah Gates

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

Check out the Western Digital 1TB Green, I've had a couple which I had to RMA back to western digital, basically some batches they sent out had a problem with slow access times which looking at your hardware should be more than enough to power windows 7 without any problems.

Basically the problem was slow access times as I said, the computer mouse, and moving of windows worked fine as usual but accessing unindexed folders, and running applications took ages and this was the problem, confirmed issue Western Digital Green Drives on *SOME* batches.

#5 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Check out the Western Digital 1TB Green, I've had a couple which I had to RMA back to western digital, basically some batches they sent out had a problem with slow access times which looking at your hardware should be more than enough to power windows 7 without any problems.

Basically the problem was slow access times as I said, the computer mouse, and moving of windows worked fine as usual but accessing unindexed folders, and running applications took ages and this was the problem, confirmed issue Western Digital Green Drives on *SOME* batches.

Was this a issue that developed over time or something that happened right out of the box? I've been using the hard drive for the last 3 years (not that that is any indication that it hasn't broken since). I had thought about finding another hard drive to test with, but the only one i have flosting around is a old IDE hard drive put in a enclosure as a external hard drive.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Hi,

( 1. ) You could test the drive by running Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS:
**If the DOS version doesn't recognize your drive, we could try the Windows version.**

Follow this link , arrow down, and download "Diag504fCD.iso."

Quick reference: Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS

• Burn the "Iso" image to a CD.
  • Don't know how or can't burn an "Iso" image?
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Press ESC and then "Y" to accept the agreement.
  • Your drive should be listed to the right. If you have more than one hard drive, highlight Select Drive and then make a selection.
  • At Main Menu, highlight Quick Test, press <Enter>, and then "R" to start the test. Hopefully it will report "Test Completed Without Errors;" otherwise, please note any errors.
  • Press ESC to return to Main Menu, arrow down and select Extended Test (this test could take several hours).
  • Note message: We recommend that you back up your data before proceeding, then press "R" to start the test or Escape (ESC) to return to Main Menu.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

( 2. ) If the drive passes the Western Digital Diagnostics, then you could run a benchmark on the hard drive.
  • Download the free HDTune 2.55 to your Desktop.
  • Install the software and then run the program.
  • Above the Benchmark tab, select your hard drive.
  • Click Start and wait for all tests to complete.
  • When finished, click the icon (copy image to the clipboard) above the Start button.
  • Include the image in your next post.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

here is the speccy link

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/JGxLeUnNxTVxyhMbKOOgUup

Edit: One last thing i forgot to mention, the computer has a hell of a time shutting down. Just gets caught on the windows screen that says shutting down and the hard drive light blinks very very slowly but it never seems to actually shut down.

Edited by Tofucube, 17 September 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#8 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

I am unable to get the hard drive diagnostic to work for me. It doesn't detect a drive in the computer, maybe that means something in itself?

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

**If the DOS version doesn't recognize your drive, we could try the Windows version.**

Try the Windows version ...

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Note: The Speccy report S.M.A.R.T. data shows a problematic/unreadable sector:
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: 200 (200) Data 0000000001

Edited by AustrAlien, 17 September 2012 - 09:10 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Try the Windows version ...

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Note: The Speccy report S.M.A.R.T. data shows a problematic/unreadable sector:
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: 200 (200) Data 0000000001

Sorry completely missed that.

I ran the extended test and there were bad sectors that could not be repaired. Seems this would be the most likely case of my problems. HArd drive is outside of warrenty, anyone have any suggestions on things i can try and use to repair this or am i sol?

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Tofucube,

>>"I ran the extended test and there were bad sectors that could not be repaired. Seems this would be the most likely case of my problems."<<

Yes. If the hard drive can't pass the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics test, it's failing.

>>"any suggestions on things i can try and use to repair this"<<

I have no suggestions to offer regarding "drive repair"; although, I doubt that there is any; maybe others will have suggestions.

You have already replaced the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Why not replace the hard drive and have a new computer.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

This may be a simplistic response and you may have done it before, but have you run check disk with the option to repair bad sectors? Also running a defrag wouldn't hurt either... Again you may have already tried these options.

But I think you have done due diligence to save you old HD.... and Artrook's advise to buy a new HD is probably the easiest, efficient, and cost effective solution.

Edited by Burney, 18 September 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#13 Tofucube

Tofucube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I guess i'll need to figure out what hard drive(s) i want to buy to deal with this. I wish ssd were cheaper.

Not that i dont think the hard drive is the problem but are there any suggestions on stuff i should run to check the computer while i'm at it and waiting for a new hard drive. I would hate to get a new hard drive and find out i have another issue.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,574 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Just to confirm - in Device Manager there are no yellow or red symbols - is that correct?

#15 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

use the data lifegard tool to ready the drive for install , write the drive to O's and it should fix bad sectors if they are fixable ,then reinstall windows on it ,if you do buy a new drive get the Black version not the Green ,green might save a pit of power but windows speed suffers with it ,if i understand the info i read correctly

Edited by caperjac, 18 September 2012 - 07:24 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users