Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

won't reboot when installing OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Hello
I am trying to fix an old computer for my grandkids to play games on. My friends have given me two old computers and they both are doing the same thing. Which is, when I am trying to install the OS either Windows XP or 2000 professional .............when the CD says that the computer will now reboot ...........the computer shuts down and then when it comes back on it starts the CD from the start all over again.

If anyone knows why it is doing this and could tell me how to correct it I would be grateful.

One of the computers is a Compaq D51S/p2a/40/k/256c and the other is a home build with a Gigabyte motherboard GA-6VX7B=4X.

Edited by garybeafl, 17 September 2012 - 10:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

Is the Windows XP CD original?
What happens if you remove the CD and let the computer boot from the Hard Disk after the reboot?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

when the CD says that the computer will now reboot ...........the computer shuts down and then when it comes back on it starts the CD from the start all over again.

When it reboots..allow it to reboot normally.Do not press any key at bootup

#4 garybeafl

garybeafl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yes the Windows XP CD is a copy I bought at a store here in my home town. I have installed XP a number of times and I know that the reboot is a part of installing the OS. It is supposed to go the the CD after the reboot and resume the instalation of the OS. It is not supposed to reboot to the start of the CD.

Does anyone know why these two machines are doing this????? I am sure there is someone who has installed XP several times like me who knows this is not the normal thing for the machine to do.

I wonder why I am not getting an email telling me that someone has posted an answer on my post.????

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

If you go to the box in the upper right corner where your username is there is a down arrow which will make your profile accessible. When you click on this a drop down menu will open with the option for Settings, this is where you choose the type of notification you wish to use.

Hope this helps.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hi Garybeafl,

Do you have more than one partition on the disk?
Did you remove all the old partitions from the disk and let the XP installer to create the partition, format and install the system?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users