Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c++ compiler

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hello, I'm on a search for a c++ compiler that will work with windows 7, and is maintained. My prof recommended dev-c++ but I've heard a lot of negative things about it since I began this search, as far as it not being maintained... any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

If your professor was calling DevCPP a C++ compiler, (s)he obviously doesn't know what (s)he is talking about. DevCPP is an IDE, not a compiler. It happens to ship with a compiler in some builds; a very old copy of MinGW 3.x.

Popular free (as in freedom) IDEs available for C++ on Windows development include Code::Blocks and Eclipse. To use either of these, you'll have to download a compiler, such as Visual Studio's C++ compiler (which ships with the Windows Platform SDK, which is free), or a recent copy of MinGW. A popular non-free-as-in-freedom but free-as-in-beer IDE is Visual Studio's Express Editions, which include the Windows SDK as part of their installer (and thus a compiler as well).

Billy3

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 17 September 2012 - 11:29 AM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

Thank You! Well I have no misconception about "who" doesn't know what they are talking about... Which is def me! I'm just starting out in c++ and this will be my first IDE and compiler download. Some of my textbooks reference old IDE/compiler's, and I have been struggling to find the right choice. Thank you for the information.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:51 PM

Thank You! Well I have no misconception about "who" doesn't know what they are talking about... Which is def me!

It's normal for someone new to not know what's going on. That's part of being new. But when one decides to start teaching it is his or her job to make sure they are not spewing bad advice.

I'm just starting out in c++ and this will be my first IDE and compiler download. Some of my textbooks reference old IDE/compiler's, and I have been struggling to find the right choice. Thank you for the information.

You are very welcome :) Of course I recommend MSVC++ but I'm a bit biased :P

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

I recommend MinGW and the CodeBlocks IDE. There are two versions of CodeBlocks one that ships with MinGW and one that does not if you want the most recent MinGW or a different compiler. I recommend downloading the bundled version. :)

#6 Mr. Bravo

Mr. Bravo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Dark Snake I'll give them a try!

Mr. O'Neal, I downloaded VS express and every time I open it a message pops up that says " this should be used for evaluation purposes only" not sure what this means so just thought I'd ask. Thanks for the help. :)

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

You're welcome! :)

You'll need to apply for a free registration code which requires a hotmail/live/msn email from Microsoft. Click Help on the menu and Register which should have an option to take you online to register for your free code. :) You need to do this for each of the Express Editions if you installed more then one. :)

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 20 September 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:09 PM

Oops, I forgot about this. Sorry about that :)

Billy3
Posted Image

#9 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I must say the MinGW gets my vote for compiler. Although if you want an IDE my vote goes with Visual Studio C++. If you are in Uni you should be able to get it off your IT guys. But make sure when submitting assignments and otherwise that you always get the same compiler and OS as your institute uses as each compiles differently and may contain errors on some.

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

I must say the MinGW gets my vote for compiler.

Just curious; why is that?

Billy3
Posted Image

#11 KingDavidlll

KingDavidlll

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

I must say the MinGW gets my vote for compiler.

Just curious; why is that?

Billy3

Sorry by MinGW I mean the GNU compiler. It's simple to use, seems not to differ too much within different OS's and compiles large files quite quickly. I'm not too experienced with different compilers though, as I am only in University, but it's the one that the University uses and no one has had any problems with it. Why change when something works well?

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Sorry by MinGW I mean the GNU compiler. It's simple to use, seems not to differ too much within different OS's and compiles large files quite quickly. I'm not too experienced with different compilers though, as I am only in University, but it's the one that the University uses and no one has had any problems with it. Why change when something works well?

Erm, it's kinda hard to recommend something when you've not tried alternatives to it.

GCC is a pretty decent compiler on Unix boxes. (I used to say it was a great compiler; but then LLVM came out...) Unfortunately, my experience on Windows (via MinGW) with it has been lackluster due to inability to build Windows amd64 binaries, lack of Unicode (wchar_t) support on Windows, and inability to call into COM.

For projects intended for wide consumption, one should use multiple compilers anyway I suppose :)

Billy3
Posted Image

#13 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

I must say the MinGW gets my vote for compiler. Although if you want an IDE my vote goes with Visual Studio C++. If you are in Uni you should be able to get it off your IT guys. But make sure when submitting assignments and otherwise that you always get the same compiler and OS as your institute uses as each compiles differently and may contain errors on some.

I second that. Personally I prefer the Cygwin port of the GNU Compiler Collection as I like the Linux feeling on Windows. Although the MinGW port is almost as good. :)

#14 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Of course, doing things like calling into COM from Cygwin aren't an issue; because Cygwin doesn't have the concept :)

Billy3
Posted Image

#15 Tigzy

Tigzy

• Security Colleague
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi

If you want to write Windows apps using lots of Win32 API, I would recommend Visual Studio C++ (Express).
Code::Blocks is good, but the embedded headers are not that good (or else you can also install the Windows SDK to complete)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users