Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player 8 Bug

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oRCaz

oRCaz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:20 AM

Recently, Adobe (formerly Macromedia) released version 8,0,24,0 for Flash Player. I upgraded to it, but I found that it had some problems on my computer. Initially, the previous version, 8.0.22.0 I think, worked well on both my admin and default limited user account. However, when I upgraded to this version, it failed to work on my limited account, although it works well on my admin account. I have downloaded the flash uninstaller and reinstalled flash, but it still doesn't work on my limited account... Can someone help me with it, or is it a bug by Adobe? I use Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Edited by oRCaz, 16 March 2006 - 09:22 AM.

:: Orcaz signing off ::

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 handplane

handplane

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:32 AM

Read here for possible help.
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg...66#instructions

#3 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:21 AM

It happens in both my desktop and laptop, running Win XP home and XP Pro respectively. This problem only happens in Internet Explorer, and Firefox doesn't seem to have this problem.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:47 PM

That may be because some of the ActiveX features will not run in "limited" accounts.

"Some programs might not work properly for users with limited accounts. If so, change the user's account type to computer administrator, either temporarily or permanently."

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...l_overview.mspx

This appears to be somewhat shortsighted of Microsoft!

#5 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

But Flash Player had no problems in the previous version before this update...

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

Easy way to check - boost an account that is having the problem with the Flash Player to admin status and see if that resolves the problem.

If it does, then you have diagnosed the problem.

#7 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 02:40 AM

Yea, when it is in admin status, flash works. However, once I downgrade it, it returns back to unusable. Adobe probably forgot to make the player compatible with Windows XP, but I still don't see the reason why it works on previous versions but not this. I thot this version should have been built upon previous?

#8 oRCaz

oRCaz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 09:24 AM

Does anyone here use limited account as their default account for Windows XP or have encountered this error?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users