Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Acting Up when starting up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Snowl

Snowl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:26 AM

Hello BleepingComputer! Your website has saved me a couple of times and hopefully it will save me again :)

For a few months (about 3-4) my computer has started acting up when I turn it on. Sometimes when I turn it on, it will go into "sleep startup", which means I hear the case fans start up, but nothing else starts up (e.g CPU, GPU). In the past to solve this I would simply hit the side of my computer, press reset and then power and repeat till it has turned on (I hear the GPU fans 100% for a few seconds).

Recently it has gotten worse - if it doesn't turn on it will not turn on till I unplug my USB devices, then I need to do the above method to start it up. Sometimes when I unplug the USB devices it will start up without me needing to hit the side. Sometimes if I plug the USB devices back in while it is starting up (I hear the GPU fans at 100%) then it will just lose power and I need to remove the power cord for a few seconds. Sometimes I need to remove the power cord for a few seconds when turning it on.

When I need to do this (as it only happens around 75% of the time) when it turns on this is what I see:
Posted Image

I just press F2 and it starts normally. Once it is normally on (so the GPU fans have gone to 1% or whatever and the monitor turns on) I can plug my USB devices and do what ever, it works perfect when properly on.

Here is my EVEREST scan (has all my computer info): http://da.viddiaz.com/report.htm

I can provide extra details if needed (e.g PSU). They are also on my profile.

Thanks for any help,
David.

Edited by Snowl, 17 September 2012 - 02:25 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Did you build this computer yourself? If so, you've been inside and are familiar with the components. If this is the case I would suggest going back inside and rechecking all of your connections as what you have described does sound like a connectivity issue. At least at this point.

If someone else built this for you, be aware of electrostatic discharges from your hands when touch components. A 10V static discharge can take out integrated circuits. The simple solution here is to touch the metal case prior to touching anything inside.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Obmute

Obmute

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

When was the last time you did a BIOS update on the computer? It looks like the last one was on February 6th on ASUS' website, since it somewhat sounds like a BIOS issue.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:22 PM

When was the last time you did a BIOS update on the computer? It looks like the last one was on February 6th on ASUS' website, since it somewhat sounds like a BIOS issue.

It could well be that there are a couple of contributing factors here, the BIOS being one of them. But the fact that they are experiencing some success by hitting the side of the computer does suggest that there may be a loose connection as well. I would suggest pursuing the loose connection first, and then look into updating the BIOS.

Edited by dc3, 17 September 2012 - 05:29 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

if it doesn't turn on it will not turn on till I unplug my USB devices

This could just be the problem. USB Razer tron mouse and a PS/2 mouse connected with another external drive and phone. Did you install any Razer tron driver?

Tekken

#6 Snowl

Snowl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the replies! I went on holidays so I couldn't reply :(. I updated my BIOS and reseated everything - no dice. Still need to hit it sometimes when turning on my computer.

Another symptom has come up, which is actually REALLY annoying. Every 20 minutes or so my GPU crashes and I have to wait...

Here is a pic of my event log:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Each time my display is listed is when it crashes. Here is a video of it crashing (ignore my messy desk)
youtube.com/watch?v=viOoLdeTlSA

Also, sometimes my computer freezes completely, but not a display crash.

My network also cuts out (Ethernet) - it's not my router, when I disable my card and enable it my internet works instantly again.

Any ideas?

Edited by Snowl, 02 October 2012 - 10:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users