Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recently hit with FBI Moneypak ransomware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi guys, recently i was hit with the ransomware FBI Moneypak pop-up and I was able to remove it from my system before it manifested itself deeper in.

What i am wondering now, is how can i tell if i have been keylogged or if my computer is disseminating any information to a 3rd party/script kiddie somewhere.

I only know of things like "open ports" and "infected ports" and what keyloggers are, not how to find and remove them.

I would greatly appreciate any information or direction anyone could point me in regarding how to combat these types of things and also how to secure and protect my machine against them prior to being attacked and of course, after a suspected or succesful attack.

Much appreciation,
-drwmbt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:58 AM

I would greatly appreciate any information or direction anyone could point me in regarding how to combat these types of things and also how to secure and protect my machine against them prior to being attacked and of course, after a suspected or succesful attack.

Hi -
If your Antivirus program is always fully updated, and you have Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free or Pro Version andSuperantiSpyware Free to scan with, there is little more that you can do -

SpywareBlaster is a good program to always have installed
Understanding Spyware, Browser Hijackers, and Dialers and this contains some good information for you -.

Regards -

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks, im specifically wondering about how to evaluate my computers safety. I'm wanting to analyze whether my computer has open ports, infected ports, things of that nature. I have backtrack 5 and this is the direction im talking about heading in, although it may not be necessary to actually use that o/s particularly but i'm trying to see how vulnerable it is, along with having the software protections i've already put in place

best,
drwmbt

Edited by drwmbt, 17 September 2012 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users