Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No autoplay, no visible files on UDF disk

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:04 PM

Hi there! You very intelligent folks have been so helpful before, so I thought you might be able to help me with this problem. I have a very expensive piece of software purchased recently on a CD-ROM in some UDF system format, and a rather old PC running Windows XP Pro V 2002 SP2. My CD ROM drive is Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512. Let me know if you need more info on hardware or OS or other system software.

Here is the problem. I insert the very expensive CD in my CD-ROM drive, and nothing really happens after a lot of whirring and clicking. Autoplay runs nothing. I tried to do a "Start - Run" on it, and it can find no files on the disk to open. There IS an exe file on the disk (which I managed to determine from an .inf file,) but apparently my system cannot read this UDF system format. I don't know what UDF system format it is, the documentation for the software does not say. I have Roxio Easy CD Creator with a UDF reader, and it says there are no files on the disk, too. I searched to see if there is a driver update for the CD-ROM and there is none.

Any idea how I can get my very expensive software installed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hi -

Can you play Any CDs or DVDs in your computer at this time ?? Is this the only CD or DVD that will not play ??

Try to disable your Antivirus while you attempt to use this CD in the CD - DVD player -

Go > Start > Open Computer > Click on the CD player and see if there is a program recignised there -

#3 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Yes, it autoplays all other CDs that I have. Antivirus off or on makes no difference. Firewall on or off makes no difference. It will not read any files on the very expensive software disk. It appears to be a problem reading UDF system format.

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

Have a look here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321640

What is the program you are trying to install.

From the article:

"Make sure that you have the latest Windows service pack applied."

Edited by petewills , 17 September 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#5 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:46 PM

Yes, that is the article I found that led me to believe the problem is with UDF format. As I was searching for an answer, I also read a few folks had the same problem who had SP3. I can try upgrading to SP3, but I have my doubts it will help. I'll let you know.

#6 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Upgrading to SP 3 made no difference. My computer still claims there are no files to read on the very expensive software disk. The program is called SmartScore X and is made by a company called Musitek.

#7 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Might be worth contacting the Seller.

General Info:

http://www.musitek.com/PDFs/KnownSS.pdf

particularly:

"3. Your CD drive can't read SmartScore Installation CD
If for any reason your CD drive cannot read the SmartScore installation CD, choose one of the
following:
A. Inform us that you want to download the Internet installer. If you choose this option, we will pull
a couple of switches on this end and then give you access information (by email or phone) on
how to download the installer to your hard drive.
B. Request by phone or mailto:tech@musitek.com that you wish a replacement CD be sent to
you."

Edited by petewills , 18 September 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#8 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:28 AM

I will do that. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users