Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 willy800

willy800

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

I open IE, in which Yahoo is my home page, click on a news story, and because I use the Host file from HOSTS.MVP, certain parts of the web page will not open. But instead of the page that says IE cannot connect in that space where the ad is a whole new page opens with this url-http://www.google.com/hws/dell-usuk/afe?hl=en&channel=us&s=res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm-it goes by so fast I can't stop it. Hence reading any news from Yahoo or going to any website that has an ad on it that the host file blocks is useless.
I also have Firefox and it does not happen when I use it, but the wife likes IE better :whistle:
Did a MBAM scan, it says clean and Avast has found nothing.

What should I do next?

Thanks,
Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

Hi -
If you would like to "reset your Hosts file", please use one of the programs below that should work for IE or F/fox >>
Please Re-set your host files back to default. >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 <<Run the microsoft fix it in the link.

Or - Download Rogue killer to reset Hosts file
Right click on it, and select Run as ... Administrator
Now, click on HOSTS FIX option on right side
A log should get generated after the fix ,post the log here

Thank You -

#3 willy800

willy800
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

noknojon, thank you for your reply.
After some more research I found the answer.
Hope this might help others.
Tim

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hostsfaq.htm#Google

Why do I get a Google /Dell search page instead of a blocked ad?

It seems that Dell has added several new Google related programs to their new machines. One of which causes a blocked advertisement to return the user to a Google/Dell search page.
The solution (provided by Jill C) is to uninstall Google AFE (older versions) via Add Remove.
Newer versions of the pre-installed Google/Dell add-ons = uninstall - Browser Address Error Redirector
Eric Osborne sends along this tip: If the above Google programs are not listed in Add Remove ...
Go to - Internet Options | Programs | Manage Add-ons | disable CBrowserHelperObject

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users