Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade for my PC, Just a GPU or a whole new system?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hey :D
I wanna upgrade my PC so I can have the Geforce GTX series GPU`s.. but I have (Specs on my signature) so should I just upgrade my whole system so I have a SSD,Intel Core i5, 8GB 1600MHZ RAM. and some more? or just stick with my specs now and just get the GPU? I think I have a 500w PSU.
Thanks.
Chris

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2012 - 09:49 AM.
Moved from Buying New to System Building - Hamluis.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

go for the new computer if its in the budget ,better than the upgrade

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I've got to agree. Athlon II-250 isn't really much of a processor. If you want to stick with Athlon, the Phenom II X6 or FX8120 are good choices. With Intel, anything in the quad core i5 neighborhood is a solid choice.

It won't do a whole lot of good to get a nice graphics card if your CPU can't run the applications behind it :)
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 CrunchyChewie

CrunchyChewie

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

Agree with the other replies here. Your CPU will be a serious bottleneck for any GPU in the GTX series. A Core i5 should give you plenty of bang for your buck and will be a significant improvement over that Athlon.

What is your overall budget? How much could you spend if you go with the new system route?

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

A computer is only as strong as its weakest link. If you simply upgraded the graphics card, the rest of your system won't be able to do it any justice. You could crunch an i5-3570K, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, mobo, and graphics card for $500.

If you are really budget conscious, you could substitute an AMD FX-8120 and smaller SSD while using your original drive for mass storage.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users