Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mixed speed components

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DeadheadDuke

DeadheadDuke

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

I have recently had problems with an intermittent cable connection that appeared to be caused by my own hardware. I am running Windows 7 Pro as my OS and it is completely up to date with patches. For networking I use a Linksys EA4500 dual band N router and a Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3 cable modem that is brand new out of the box three days ago. My router is relatively new as I only bought it about 6 months ago. After hooking up the new modem I had a repeat of the intermittent signal problem so I started to do more research on networking basics and now I have run into something I'm unsure of and need help. My network connection on the front end is a little bit odd because I use Vonage for my phone system and it has its own cable modem(?) inserted between my modem and my router. What I have discovered is that while my modem is qualified as 1000Base T compatible, my Vonage box is only 100Base T qualified. The question for you is, could having the 100Base T Vonage box between the 1000Base T modem and the 1000Base T router cause any degradation in transmission speed over the LAN? Any information to clarify this for me will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hello,

Explain to me the exact setup again please. So from what I gather you are saying its like this: modem --> vonage --> router correct? I'm guessing you are using the Ethernet out port on the vonage box to connect to your router? If what I just said is the case then I actually had a similar setup at one time and I actually did cause me a load of problems with line speed and connectivity. What I did and you should do as well is connect the modem to your router then connect the vonage box to your router, that way the vonage box is on its own and shouldn't cause any issues. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 DeadheadDuke

DeadheadDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

:thumbup2: Thanks for your reply. You have described my connections correctly. The setup I'm using is a carryover from days when I was using an older, slower modem and a "G" router. The Vonage box is in the middle as specified by them in their connection directions. I was not concerned at that time because everything in the setup was slow by today's standards. When I did hook things up as they are right now I didn't hook up the way you are suggesting because I didn't know how the Vonage box would perform if added to the LAN and made to use DHCP. But, since you say it worked for you I will give your suggestion a try and see how Vonage performs as a network client. If that lashup proves to be problematic I will get Vonage to replace the older box I have with one of their newer faster models. Thanks again and I will let you know how this works out for me after I get things changed.

Cec Britton

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

Alright. Good luck :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users