Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2008 Std install questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

1.) Does Windows 2008 Standard come with Remote desk top service ready to go and use?
2.) Do you need to get any licensing to use RDP?
3.) How many users can I have connected at once with RDP, and running the same installed application on the server?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

1.) Does Windows 2008 Standard come with Remote desk top service ready to go and use?

Yes.

2.) Do you need to get any licensing to use RDP?

Out of the box the server will accept only 2 simultaneous connections, from users on the Administrators group and one normal user.
To accept more connections you will need Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses.

3.) How many users can I have connected at once with RDP, and running the same installed application on the server?

About the users see above. For the applications it will depend on the programs itself some work others don't.
In some cases its necessary to buy specific licenses to run on a Terminal Server.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ok, The user is using a MAC with MAC 10.6 OS. So I just setup a RDP connection on their laptop and pint it to the program on the Server and it will work when the click it? What do I need to setup on the Server for RDP to allow users to connect?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Ok, The user is using a MAC with MAC 10.6 OS. So I just setup a RDP connection on their laptop and pint it to the program on the Server and it will work when the click it? What do I need to setup on the Server for RDP to allow users to connect?

You need to have Remote Desktop enabled on the server check this page for instructions.
If the user isn't a member of the Administrators group you need to add the user account to the Remote Desktop Users group.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 tim_ver

tim_ver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

I goto the connection to work and it connects to the server and shows the desktop of the server. But the issue I have is I would like for it to automatically start a program when it connects. I do not want to have the users see the desktop at all just have the program launch up as I have two users that need to use the program at the same time. How do I do this? I did try the start a program option in remote desk top connection setup but I think you need terminal services. Please help.

Thanks

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,992 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I goto the connection to work and it connects to the server and shows the desktop of the server. But the issue I have is I would like for it to automatically start a program when it connects. I do not want to have the users see the desktop at all just have the program launch up as I have two users that need to use the program at the same time. How do I do this? I did try the start a program option in remote desk top connection setup but I think you need terminal services. Please help.

Thanks

Hi,

Server 2008 have a new feature called RemoteApp you need to enable Terminal Services, the trial will work for 120 days without license.
I have tested this on Server 2008 and its a more easy way to give access to users but they will have always access to the desktop if they connect to the server using the remote Desktop Client you can't disable this because RemoteApp will use the same access to run the application despite the fact that you see it running inside a normal window.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users