Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up Network Server

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:58 AM

I am currenting setting up a small home network, and I would like a few tips on how to do this smoothly.

The server will be for sharing a printer, file hosting and updates for all computers.

Computers will be running Windows XP Professional.

And if I add a Windows 98 machine to my network will that be diffcult to configure?
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:20 PM

It will not be a problem at all. The protocal over the LAN will be TCP/IP, NETBOIS, or IXP, correct? You will not have any problem, just use the XP Network setup disk to configure the 98 computer. Will he server also be you router/DHCP server? Will you still have a standard router? Are you going to run a Proxy Server?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:12 PM

I can see setting up a server for filesharing and printing, but for "updates"?

That's asking for a whole lot of problems!

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:20 PM

TCP/IP yes. Updates, yeah I changed my mind. The whole network will be behind Smoothwall, and yes I will have a proxy server, mind you Smoothwall has web proxy so I will just use that. So I think I will just put the server on Windows XP Pro SP2 and just leave it open for all users around the house to access and use.

Thanks heaps for your input. :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

The XP Pro networking wizard can be migrated to any other computer using other versions including Win 98.

From Win XP Pro "Help and Support" (start/help and support - networking wizard)

To configure other computers on your network using the CD
If you are running the Network Setup Wizard on Windows XP, you must be logged on as an administrator to complete this procedure.

Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the computer that you want to connect to your home or small office network.
Click Perform additional tasks.
Click Set up a home or small office network.

Notes
The Network Setup Wizard can only be run on computers running Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, or Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

If you are using Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), run the wizard on the ICS host computer first. The host computer is the one that is sharing its Internet connection.

Before running the Network Setup Wizard on computers running Windows 98 Second Edition or Windows Millennium Edition, make sure that ICS is disabled on those computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users