Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying New Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chiefhorror

chiefhorror

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

My budget for the new computer is: $400-$550

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?: Digital painting, video editing, a little bit of animation, web browsing, and maybe a little gaming (a laptop equipped for heavy gaming is not a necessity.)

What software do you intend on using on the computer?: Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI, Corel Illustrator, Microsoft Office, GIMP, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, Skype, a few video-ripping programs, music players, maybe MAYA.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? I mostly just use emulators to play old cartridge games, but I might try playing minecraft or something a little "heavier" graphic-wise.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I tend to have multiple programs running at once (Sai, Photoshop, Skype, Chrome and VLC are usually used simultaneously).

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?: Yeeeeeeeah, although most of them are stored on an external hard drive.

I'm not very computer savvy when it comes to hardware, I just want to make sure I get the best for what I'm able to spend. This laptop will be my primary one, a desktop replacement, and it'll get a lot of use.

So far these are the three I've settled on, but I'm open to more suggestions (Dell, HP, etc. are those good too?) and would dig knowing the pros and cons of each company? I've had issues with overheating in the past with Lenovo, I've never used Asus or Toshiba and my last laptop was a Powerbook, so...

ASUS: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3924783&srkey=A50-156320
TOSHIBA: http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/satellite/L850
LENOVO: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/z-series/z570/#Second

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

The Lenovo would be the best one because it has the fastest processor out of the lot and the fast processor would benefit the video editing and photo editing.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

its almost like comparing apple and oranges ,you need to compare oranges and oranges , the Toshiba you have linked hasn't even chosen what processor its will come with ,the Asus is a I5 processor and the lenova is a I7 or lower

and you posted a budget of 400-550 $,the lenovo you posted is bottom lined at 650.00 and could go higher if you want to make it more of a gaming laptop,and it says Up to 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor,doesnt mean that this one has a i7 processor in it

Edited by caperjac, 16 September 2012 - 08:21 AM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 chiefhorror

chiefhorror
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

Aaah, sorry, I've priced all of those computers around the net and I just posted the main link to the main website since the specs are on there. I'm not buying direct.

I guess what I should really be asking is what specs would fit my needs? That's what I really need to know.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:13 AM

Probably a quad core i7, 8GB of ram, 750GB HDD, webcam/microphone for Skype and a 17" screen which would be useful for video/photo editing.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users