Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Well-balanced Gaming Laptop for Travel

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Agent Cooper

Agent Cooper

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi Guys, wondering if you could help or point me in the right direction. I received wonderful help from your anti-virus forums when my tower stack got afflicted : )

My budget for the new computer is: 800-1200 (US $1300-1800)

What are the primary uses for this computer? : It's primary use would be gaming and entertainment (films/music, etc)

What software do you intend on using on the computer?: Windows 7 OS, Skyrim Creation Kit (for modding), Photoshop, various graphic/photo software

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? : STALKER series games, Skyrim, Borderlands, etc (I'm not looking to play Battlefield 3 maxed-out, but being able to run something like that at medium to high quality would be pleasing)

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? No, I tend not to but when modding can have Creation Kit, Nifskope (graphic meshes program) and PAINT.NET (texture/photo editor) open.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? : A moderate amount of photos/pictures, lots of music! Big spacious HD would be nice!

A BIT MORE INFO:
I am looking to travel to South America to do charity work in the near future (end of the year/early next year) and I'm looking for a lappy that can fulfil my needs and can stand the rigours of travelling in hot countries, possible spending much of it's time stashed in a rucksack. Bear in mind I may be using this as a public performance laptop - it might help if you picture 25-30 Indigenous peoples/campesinos crowding around a laptop watching Steven Seagal films or playing Borderlands!!

I have been fruitlessly browsing for a good-all-rounder that's well-priced for its performance - i.e. gives bang to the buck. Other key criteria for me are weight (less than 4kg), quiet noise emissions, low temperature when running demanding programs/games, etc. Durability and sturdy frame would obviously come high as well. Battery life is a factor too, but secondary to previous criteria. Also I'm not a fan of tacky/garish presentation, prefering no-frills matte black finish type of appearance - but this really is the least important aspect.

Any ideas? I've previously looked at the Asus G75V (- pricey and heavy!), Asus G55VW (heavy for 15" screen, but still quite attractive), Alienware M14s & M17s (pricey and horrible looking!) among others. It seems I have to make a compromise somewhere, either sacrifice weight for good performance, or accept a lousy sound card/speakers for good cooling system, etc - but I was hoping someone can shed some enlightenment of knowledge of a good all-rounder in my price range - ?

Any suggestions /recommendations - ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users