Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

building a PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

HI,I was wondering how you go about figuring what parts that go into
building a PC,LIKE mobo,ram,video cards,power supply and various other parts that
may make it,or take the easy way out and buy one already built.
Also have any of you seen anything about the DDR4 ram that is supposed to be out
in 2013/2014 and if so will that help to get pass 4.0 MHZ speed because of cooling
problems,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

In your case what I would do is look for a seller that has a kit of all the parts needed. Start with the CPU in your search.

When I built my Brothers latest PC I was feeling lazy and took that route. It All worked together with no problems. He is now using the I7 2600 system for over a year. I did add a Intel SSD and it boots fast, things open fast. I looked for one with a I7 2600 and ASUS brand motherboard, My preferred brand.

Usually they give a discount for the bundle too.

Other than that find what parts you are interested in and post the list here for comment.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

4.0MHz speed?

I would suggest you buy a prefab. Or perhaps a barebones kit with parts already matched.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Also have any of you seen anything about the DDR4 ram that is supposed to be out
in 2013/2014 and if so will that help to get pass 4.0 MHZ speed because of cooling
problems,thanks

Just understand these 3 things.

1. Memory has no direct connection to the speed a processor can run at. It may affect how fast the memory can be read by the CPU, A Different thing.
2. Overclocking a CPU will always require better cooling. Memory will have no effect on that. The faster you overclock a CPU, the more voltage you will need to use to make it run stable. More Voltage = More heat = Better cooling needed.
3. GHZ is not the only important factor in a CPU's performance.

a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 will run much slower than a I7 running the same clock speed due to major difference in the CPU design.

All else being equal a I7 will outperform a I5 which will outperform a I3.

Hope this clarifies things a little but for you
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:30 PM

Not necessarily true. A high end i5 can outperform low to mid grade i7 processors.

To the OP: With all due respect, I suggest you spend some serious time reading up on computer hardware. Once you have a general understanding of hardware and system builds, start reading into the overclocking field. If you just buy a desktop right now and overclock it, there's a good chance you would do more harm than good.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

I <3 Linux

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Not necessarily true. A high end i5 can outperform low to mid grade i7 processors.

To the OP: With all due respect, I suggest you spend some serious time reading up on computer hardware. Once you have a general understanding of hardware and system builds, start reading into the overclocking field. If you just buy a desktop right now and overclock it, there's a good chance you would do more harm than good.

Did you notice the key part in my statement?

All else being equal

Motherboard, memory etc.
Meaning a I5 running at the same Ghz as the I7 will always be slower. And of course of the same generation, IE Second Gen to Second Gen, Ghz to Ghz.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Check out the videos at Newegg on how to build a computer.
On that same page you will see some combo deals, too.
I've watched one of the videos (3) and found it very well done.
Lots of good tips.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Agreed. Check out YouTube as well. Often, end users will give you a working review of a certain product, especially the higher end ones.

I am currently writing a tutorial for another site covering the ground-up basics of building a PC. It covers the basic terminology you will run into when purchasing parts. Feel free to check it out here.

I <3 Linux

#9 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users