Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wallpaper I just made, thoughts?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Just a little something that I whipped up. It was a photo-manipulation but I love how great the type turned out to be.
Thoughts? :wink:
Posted Image

Feel free to use it as your wallpaper if you want too. You can find more of my work at alvasrawuther.deviantart.com

EDIT: Added a bit more noise and stuff.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 16 September 2012 - 12:18 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AceInfinity

AceInfinity

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

It's okay, personally I like having just an image as my desktop, any text doesn't make sense to me. Unless it's my forum username or something that really relates to me. Not bad though :)

Edited by AceInfinity, 07 October 2012 - 09:00 PM.

mvp.png
Microsoft MVP .NET Programming - (2012 - Present)
®Crestron DMC-T Certified Automation Programmer

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:30 AM

It's okay, personally I like having just an image as my desktop, any text doesn't make sense to me. Unless it's my forum username or something that really relates to me. Not bad though :)

Well, everyone has their way. Glad you liked it. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 graphicsman

graphicsman

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

first, sorry.... he is right about the text.. Maybe drop the size down and place it in the right or left bottom corner really small within the black and match the color of the atmosphere to the text. The purpose of MOST backgrounds is beauty and in this case it is not met with the text. The text also does not really fit the picture element of majestic rustic rural setting. Best case the text is an orphan in a mysterious appearance of scenery :thumbup2:

EDIT:
also from a design since all designs are supposed to have meaning and understanding. I do not understand how "change" can be place here and the meaning behind it. You can hardly see the little guy in the middle. Can you explain your meaning?

Edited by graphicsman, 23 October 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

first, sorry.... he is right about the text.. Maybe drop the size down and place it in the right or left bottom corner really small within the black and match the color of the atmosphere to the text. The purpose of MOST backgrounds is beauty and in this case it is not met with the text. The text also does not really fit the picture element of majestic rustic rural setting. Best case the text is an orphan in a mysterious appearance of scenery :thumbup2:

EDIT:
also from a design since all designs are supposed to have meaning and understanding. I do not understand how "change" can be place here and the meaning behind it. You can hardly see the little guy in the middle. Can you explain your meaning?

The meaning as I see it is this - there's this guy, and here's really sick of all the monotonous things that happen in the place he is in - cars & buildings & cars and nothing much else. So he's heading out, looking into the change(the bright light).

And I don't get why you'd want to not have the text here, it's an integral part of the wallpaper and I've tried to subtly blend it in and make it have the noise that the rest of the wallpaper has(if you see closely, you'll see). To me, the typography is important and in a way it sort of the conveys the meaning of the scene in an elegant and beautiful way, thanks to the beautiful letterforms and font which sets in the meaning I want to convey.

And it's not design, it isn't there to solve a problem. It's a piece of art - just like how Mona Lisa doesn't solve a problem. It's there to inspire and it reflects me and my beliefs and my opinions, in some sort of a way which maybe not all will be able to understand.

And TY! for the feedback! :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 23 October 2012 - 11:44 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Nice image.
I understand the message that you were going for.
My only dislike is the big, black, in your face "change".
It's a major distraction from the image itself.
In my opinion, since this is meant to be a desktop image, the primary focus should be on the image.
Any messages should be secondary.

The way this was created, the "change" text just overpowers the image.
That's where you focus is drawn to upon first viewing the picture.
The buildings, cars, and lone man walking down the street just seem like an after-thought.

Maybe move the "change" more towards the top of the image, and let your eye be drawn to it, after following the street scene.
Something like this:

Posted Image

Also, maybe subdue the color of the "change" text, a little, to better blend in with the rest of the image.
Maybe use one of the darker colors from the buildings.
Perhaps that gritty, dark gray, to the right of the first set of windows, on the bottom right.
The clean text looks a little out of place, with the grittiness of the rest of the scene.

I really like your street scene, though.
Nice work. :thumbup2:

Just my 2¢ :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 gemalouise

gemalouise

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

awesome background wish i knew how to do it :thumbsup: <_<

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Nice image.
I understand the message that you were going for.
My only dislike is the big, black, in your face "change".
It's a major distraction from the image itself.
In my opinion, since this is meant to be a desktop image, the primary focus should be on the image.
Any messages should be secondary.

The way this was created, the "change" text just overpowers the image.
That's where you focus is drawn to upon first viewing the picture.
The buildings, cars, and lone man walking down the street just seem like an after-thought.

Maybe move the "change" more towards the top of the image, and let your eye be drawn to it, after following the street scene.
Something like this:

Posted Image

Also, maybe subdue the color of the "change" text, a little, to better blend in with the rest of the image.
Maybe use one of the darker colors from the buildings.
Perhaps that gritty, dark gray, to the right of the first set of windows, on the bottom right.
The clean text looks a little out of place, with the grittiness of the rest of the scene.

I really like your street scene, though.
Nice work. :thumbup2:

Just my 2¢ :)

I guess that you meant something like this would work better...
Posted Image
I'm still not sure though if it works better, am still experimenting with the font and all. :wacko:

awesome background wish i knew how to do it :thumbsup: <_<

Just open up Photoshop(or GIMP? maybe) and start messing around with stuff. That coupled with loads of online tutorials, and you'll start learning things. You just need to have the determination. I started the same way, with the same question as you.. :)

TY for the feedback everyone... :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 25 October 2012 - 11:11 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I guess that you meant something like this would work better...

Closer.
It's just that the original text was so large, that being place in the middle, it over-powered the image.
That's what you eye was drawn to; that in-your-face text.

If you decide to go with the smaller text, that you have in the last image, you could lower it to just above the buildings in the background.
That way the eye would be drawn from the foreground, down the street, to the text in the background.
That would place the text in the center of the image, but because of the perspective created by the street, and buildings, it's not a distraction.
It becomes a part of the overall image.

These are just some of my thoughts.
I tend to look at things from more of a photography standpoint, so my perspective as to what you are trying to achieve, and your perspective as an artist, could be two entirely different things.
After all, no two people view art in exactly the same way. :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 wantei

wantei

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

I really like the wallpaper you made.

#11 Gedeonmateo

Gedeonmateo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

I really like it!

Edited by Gedeonmateo, 19 February 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#12 Icratox

Icratox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

I've got to say that I like the street scene a lot, it's a nice thought out image and looking at it, there are more than 1 ways to interpreter it. When going through photoshopping myself I hit the same issues with the font, and personally I think it's one of the hardest things within a design to do right if you want to display text.

Have you thought of instead of having the text floating above the person, laying it 'on the road' below? If you want to use a darker text like you have now you can let it blend in, not too much however as then it will be barely visible, and make it fit in more with the image. And in the last image I've to say that I do prefer the 'strong' text rather than the 'handwriting' style, simply because it brings over the message better in my opinion.

These are just some suggestions, however definitely nice work :)

Edited by Icratox, 21 March 2013 - 06:39 PM.

#13 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:05 AM

I really like the wallpaper you made.

I really like it!

Go ahead. And use it then both of you, nobody's stopping you'll. And spread the word. :)

I've got to say that I like the street scene a lot, it's a nice thought out image and looking at it, there are more than 1 ways to interpreter it. When going through photoshopping myself I hit the same issues with the font, and personally I think it's one of the hardest things within a design to do right if you want to display text.

Have you thought of instead of having the text floating above the person, laying it 'on the road' below? If you want to use a darker text like you have now you can let it blend in, not too much however as then it will be barely visible, and make it fit in more with the image. And in the last image I've to say that I do prefer the 'strong' text rather than the 'handwriting' style, simply because it brings over the message better in my opinion.

These are just some suggestions, however definitely nice work :)

Thanks for those suggestions. This is way too old now, however, I'll surely consider your suggestions in other design fronts I undertake in the future. Thanks a lot for your advice, it means a lot to me. :)

SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users