Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking at several models for gaming comp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ixcuincle

ixcuincle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am looking to get a new PC to play high-end games like Battlefield 3, as well as future games which may come out.

The first model I am looking at is a combo deal from Newegg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1069084) I have put power supplies, video cards, and memory in computers, but have never built a whole computer from scratch. I would be willing to construct a computer like that, though. I do not have much knowledge of the parts, but they all seem to be quality.

The second model I am looking at is this one. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392&nm_mc=EMC-EXPRESS091512&cm_mmc=EMC-EXPRESS091512-_-EMC-091512-Index-_-DesktopPCs-_-83227392-L06C)It is on sale this weekend only, and reviews are initially negative. However, most of the poor reviews stem from a bad power supply. My old computer has a power supply which I can just swap in.

I was wondering which one would be more appropriate for my needs. I am looking for a gaming computer which runs Battlefield 3, and is open to modification. Having purchased pre-built computers before, I understand that the computer may not be suitable for modification (my current Compaq PC has limited modification available). However, I am quite eager to play with things once they are out of the box, so in that case, purchasing the pre-built computer might be easier, because I can just swap power supplies with my old computer.

Any advice is appreciated. Feel free to ask any additional questions, or suggest any additional products which I haven't listed.

Edited by ixcuincle, 15 September 2012 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Your second choice, Hmm...

Micro ATX board, No second video slot, very limited room for any add on cards. Not as good a brand as the 1st choices motherboard.

The Motherboard looks and feels like an economy model. Only two memory slots.
No USB3, Four USB2 ports on the back, Only one PCI Express slot and that is used for the video card. Only One PCI Slot.

The fact that the reviews indicate problems with the Power supply and the motherboard chosen indicate to me that the maker is using economy parts everywhere in the computer.

Your first choice looks like a much better computer. Much better expansion prospects.
However if you order it make sure to order a Operating System.
Hard drive is probably faster, as well as being four time larger.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. I haven't built a computer before, and I would prefer that one be pre-built so I can swap in parts from my old computer, such as my 600 W power supply and 500 GB HD. I am willing to build one though.

After what you said, I'll def. be looking more towards the first option.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

Definitely go for the first one as that probably has higher quality components.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 ixcuincle

ixcuincle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1069078

Alright, this one costs less, but doesn't have a hard drive. I can just transfer my 500 gig hard drive from my old computer...and then add in more parts later.

The question is how to install an operating system on that, since neither combo deal comes with an OS. Or maybe the drive always has an OS on it.

Edit: Didn't notice it was out of stock. I guess I'll have to go with the first option. The question about OS remains though, I'm wondering what would happen if I swapped my HD in from my old computer, whether it would recognize Windows XP or not (I'll probably end up getting Windows 7 too just to update and ease transition to 8)

Also, are there any additional parts I should get, like screws or cables?

Edited by ixcuincle, 18 September 2012 - 07:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users