Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - cannot restart computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kenk2

kenk2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

I came home from work and discovered that avira was picking up a virus warning on our family computer. I did not notice which one. It kept happening, so I ran Malwarebytes over night. This morning it had found 9 infections, including a root kit and a trojan and I think another. I chose remove the problem in Malwarebytes. MB said the computer must be restarted and I said OK. But then the computer restart failed. During the initiation of windowsXP, it brings up a screen that says there is a problem, do I want to start normally or in safe mode. I have tried all the options (the 3 levels of safe mode and starting normally). The computer keeps bringing me back to the same screen. I have also repeated the attempts after turning the computer off. What, if anything, can I do to fix this?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kenk2

kenk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:11 AM

I have found an old Kapersky labs rescue disk that allows me to start the computer and see/copy files on the HD. The boot process appears to blow up as it is reading system files. Now I guess I can copy files from one place to another of the HD. Don't know if that helps anything.

#3 kenk2

kenk2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

OS = XP. I posted this problem Saturday. This is an update. Our family computer had a virus infestation which avira picked up. I tried to remove with avira. When it recurred, I ran MalWartebytes overnight. I also ran CC cleaner which may have been my mistake (house cleaning). After that, the computer went directly to the "can't boot, do you want to try to boot normally, go to the last config that worked, or the 3 levels of safe mode". Since then I have not been able to get past that point after many tries. I did manage to get on the Windows recovery console and and ran chkdsk /r but (although chkdsk said it corrected one or more errors) it still won't boot. I also got on using the Kaperski labs recovery CD which said it found infections but did not "disinfect" any.

So, I still have the viruses, apparently, but managed to make it worse using CC cleaner (I had used it in the past without problems).

Any suggestions for what to do next?

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Hello, lets see if we can find out a bit more about the cause of this problem.

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen
  • When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter Safe Mode
  • Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:
    Posted Image
  • When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:
    Posted Image
Please post me the error(s).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users