Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resizing photos (should I search first?)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 theprofessor

theprofessor

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:36 AM

Can you resize a photo that is wider than its length, to longer than its width. For example: Turn a 800 x 480 img into a 480 x 800 img. Phones are taller than they are wider today. I don't know why they don't make wallpaper that will fill the entire screen of a phone instead of just the middle section of the phone from left to right. I've tried things like GIMP and irFanview but when you try to put the dimensions in it just changes the other to a suitable one automatically.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 v3par

v3par

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:49 AM

Can you resize a photo that is wider than its length, to longer than its width. For example: Turn a 800 x 480 img into a 480 x 800 img. Phones are taller than they are wider today. I don't know why they don't make wallpaper that will fill the entire screen of a phone instead of just the middle section of the phone from left to right. I've tried things like GIMP and irFanview but when you try to put the dimensions in it just changes the other to a suitable one automatically.

there's 2 way for doing that:
1. cropping the photo (which actually cuts off photo parts)
2. stretching the photo like this one (Posted Image)

Actually I would go for first one. If you want, I can try to help you...

Edited by v3par, 15 September 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Irfanview WILL do what you want.

When you go to Image/Resize, uncheck 'Preserve aspect ratio (proportional)' and then put the sizes you want.

#4 theprofessor

theprofessor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think the stretching looks like crap if you ask me, and preserve aspect ratio basically yields the same results. And cropping always takes away your photo. I assume you cant really reverse the dimensions without making the picture stretched, skewed, distorted or whatever if the dimensions are that far apart.

Try taking this 800 x 480
Posted Image

And turn turn it into 480 x 800 and it looks like this... garbage
Posted Image

Is there no way to make the second pic as clear as the first? The dimensions don't even have to be the opposite, just as long as the new resized pic has a larger height than width. For example, resizing a 800 x 480 pic into 400 x 600 or 600 x 800 etc.

Edited by theprofessor, 15 September 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

No matter what you do, if you try to take an image that is wider than it is tall, and stretch it to taller than wide, you will get distortion.
Cropping, is the only way to avoid the distortion.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 theprofessor

theprofessor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

solves that. lol... i was hoping for computer magic.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:17 PM

i was hoping for computer magic.

You can have it. It just looks like crap... :lmao:

What you want is computer magic thats undetectable by the human eye. :whistle:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:03 AM

Actually you can find wallpapers for phones all around the web, so you can just download 'em and start using. Have a look here and see if you can find something for you.

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 20 September 2012 - 02:03 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#9 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

The only thing you could really do to get a picture that is the correct size while looking good is get a really big image and crop it to the size you need. So you'd basically be cutting a chunk out of a much bigger picture, kind of like a cookie cutter. Because stretching will create distortion, and if you stretch something too much, it will cause it to pixellate and look even worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users