Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD issues - Win 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Samboy

Samboy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:52 PM

Hello, I have an SDD drive, 64gb and I am having issues with memory being missing. I am not sure if it is hardware or software related.

According to properties, I have used 52g of 55g. However I have gone through the drive folder and the total data used (when right clicking and going to properties and waiting for it to calculate total data) says that I have used only 26.28GB. I have unhidden all folders and still can't figure out where my data is disappearing into.

All I have installed on the SDD is Windows 7, iTunes and Office, total data used between Program Files and Program Files (x86)= 3.98GB, and there is only 2.7GB worth in "Users"

Causing some problems for me, only having 3gb of data left on the SDD, because I have to keep a constant eye on it.

Any idea what is going on?

Thanks for all help in advance

System:

Windows 7 64x
16GB RAM
i7 2600
GeForce GTX 580

My HDD (1TB) is having no issues, but don't want to have to reinstall everything onto a HDD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Download Windirstat from here

http://windirstat.info/wds_current_setup.exe

Install and launch it

Expand your C drive and see which folder or file consumes space.

good luck

#3 Samboy

Samboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Okay, got the following results,

Posted Image

What is pagefile.sys and the rest of them? Is there a safe way to remove them?

Cheers

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hiberfil.sys

If you're not using hibernate mode you can disable it

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/

Pagefile.sys

Your pagefile size is normal for an SSD-equal to RAM.I will not suggest you to touch it unless you really need space.

Right click on computer - properties - advanced system settings -performance settings - advanced - change.

Click on custom size.

I would set the custom sizes as:

Initial: 1024MB
Max: 4096MB

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users