Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD Diags AHCI vs ATA

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paullson

paullson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

I've been having this problem for awhile. At first we blamed it on a bad batch of Seagate hard drives so we ordered a batch of WDs and are having the same issue.

The WD DOS Diagnostics tool doesn't seem to support AHCI so unfortunately I was unable to use their official diagnostics to confirm this issue. I'm relying on PC Check 6.21 by Eurosoft for diagnostics in AHCI mode.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3. I installed/updated Windows 7 x64 fine but due to the issues we've been having I decided to run PC-Check on the RAM and HD to ensure everything was good. The hard drive ended up failing Read and Read Verify. I duped the drive to another WD 500G and it also failed the diagnostics. I then went to run the WD Diag tools on it and it couldn't detect the drive (because of AHCI). I switched it over to ATA and the drive passed all the WD diagnostics.

I'm currently running PC-Check on the drive with the BIOS set to ATA mode to see if it passes now. Once this set of tests ends I'm going to run the Windows version of WD Diags on the drive.

I'm trying to knock out these systems sooner than later, that's why I'm posting before finishing all the diagnostics; in hopes that someone can shed some light on this situation. Perhaps it's just PC-Check 6.21 having issues? If that's the case can any of you recommend any CD/USB boot diagnostics software?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

I'm not sure that I understand...what AHCI mode has to do with running a diagnostic from DOS, using the Data Lifeguard DOS utility.

Alternately...did you try running the DL utility for Windows?

Louis

#3 paullson

paullson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

WD must not update their Lifeguard DOS utility often because it does not support AHCI.

Yeah, I was letting PC-Check finish diags with the bios set to ATA over night, and it passed.

Now I've reset it back to AHCI and I'm running the Windows Lifeguard utility on the drive.

I'm not sure that I understand...what AHCI mode has to do with running a diagnostic from DOS, using the Data Lifeguard DOS utility.

Alternately...did you try running the DL utility for Windows?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users