Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with GPU randomly dropping in performance

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jpl188

Jpl188

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have a 600Watt Thermatake TR2 600W PSU
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
RAM
3.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
eMachines ET1352 (CPU 1) 44 C
Graphics
HP L1910 (1280x1024@60Hz)
2047MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 38 C
Hard Drives
596GB Western Digital WDC WD64 00AAKS-22A7B SCSI Disk Device (ATA)
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH16AASH SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
CPU
My current CPU is a AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 45nm Technology.

Up until about a month or two ago, i was playing with my gpu and besides the ocassional drivers error, i was doing fine. Now randomly my gpu will drop in performance, and it will not recover until i restart my computer.
Example: I am playing a video game at 60fps, and it will randomly drop to between 15 fps (at the most intense moments graphics wise), and 30-44 without much strain on the gpu. This happens randomly, and i can go days without it happening. I play online games, so it is not always practical for me to restart every time it happens.

What do you think the problem is? The CPU not being able to keep up? The PSU not putting enough out? Any help is appreciated.

Notice these are my idle temperatures, my gpu usually doesn't get way too hot, so i don't believe that is the problem. As i said, it does it randomly regardless of whether i just started gaming (when it is barely even hot yet), and will only fix itself once i restart my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 v3par

v3par

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

I have the same problem. Sometimes, but not often fps drops to 10-15 in all games & until I don't restart computer it doesn't get fixed. It may happen once or twice a week. I thought I was alone with that problem & stopped worrying about it.

Edited by v3par, 14 September 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#3 paullson

paullson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

This could possibly be caused by something running in the background. You could try booting with clean start-ups (using msconfig to temporarily disable startups and possibly disabling non-microsoft services).
Also it never hurts to make sure you have the most current drivers for your GPU installed.

#4 Jpl188

Jpl188
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

This could possibly be caused by something running in the background. You could try booting with clean start-ups (using msconfig to temporarily disable startups and possibly disabling non-microsoft services).
Also it never hurts to make sure you have the most current drivers for your GPU installed.

I've tried that, and even when i ensure i don't have programs running in the background it still happens. I have the most current drivers, but it still happens =/.

#5 The Warrior

The Warrior

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:52 PM

It seems you have a driver problem , try updating to the latest nvidia driver or uninstall and then install the driver.
Make sure you don't have useless program running in your background.
I hope this helps.

Or you can try this

In the start menu, type event log, and there should be an event veiwer, the problem could be literally anything, so check for things that happened at the time that the slow down started.

Edited by The Warrior, 14 September 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#6 v3par

v3par

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

My drivers are up to date.

Edited by v3par, 14 September 2012 - 03:58 PM.

#7 The Warrior

The Warrior

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

In the start menu, type event log, and there should be an event veiwer, the problem could be literally anything, so check for things that happened at the time that the slow down started.

#8 Jpl188

Jpl188
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Ok, so i found nothing in my event logs after experiencing the crashes in performance. I did however notice that my cpu usage goes from 100% to 0-20%. Would this be a cause of having such a crappy PSU, and should i just try to upgrade that first. The only reason i wouldn't upgrade my cpu yet is that i don't have a good enough motherboard for most quality cpu's out there, and i don't have the money for a complete replacement yet.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

There are other factors that could affect your FPS. This thread has given a clear explanation http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/239153-what-affects-fps.html

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users