Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Decoy Task Manager Virus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 man with a hat

man with a hat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:57 PM

So i love to play minecraft, and when i play it i get a smooth, constant framerate at about 124FPS.
But recently i've been getting these framerate drops every 30 seconds.
I studied the patterns that occured in task manager whenever the fps dropped, and found this:

Usually when task manager is open it creates a process (taskmgr.exe)
BUT, i have not only taskmgr.exe But i also have "Task Manager.exe"

I always figured the Task Manager.exe was the real one, but when i close out of it; it comes right back.

Now the bad part starts here.

There is always a process on called "Task Manager.exe" it uses 00 CPU
On 30 second intervals, a second "Task Manager.exe" appears, it uses 99 CPU, but it only stays open for two seconds.

When i use the search function and look for Task Manager.exe no results appear.

I am running Windows XP SP2 so unlike on vista and 7; i cant right-click on a process and simply select "open file location"

please does someone have a possible fix for this, it suuuuuuuucks, not only do i have horrible lag spikes while gaming, but i even get blue screens from it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users