Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Netowrking Equipment?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Izzy25

Izzy25

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

Im a total newbie at networking in fact this is my first attempt in connecting two computers. my cousin asked me if i can connect his two desktops. My question is if i have 2 desktops and i want to connect both of them so that i am able to connect to the internet via DSL and maybe share files and printers. so im just not sure of the equipment i might need i know i need a router for sure but im not sure if i need to desktop adapter or if i just need one desktop adapter. and will i be able to be online at the same time. thanx in advance.

here are the links to what i was thinking of buying and any suggestions on how well you think theyll work
Netgear Wireless Router
Netgear Desktop Adapter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

Those will work just fine. I would recommend a print server built into the router if you friend wants to share a printer between the two computers.
If you look around you can find routers and wireless NICs that are less expensive. You may want to check with his DSL ISP to see if the will provide a combination modem\wirelesss router.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users