Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank/Black screen suring OS installation

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 birdfloyd

birdfloyd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

I am trying to install a fresh copy of windows xp on compaq presario v6000. The first screen of formatted the hard drive and setting up partitions work. Then it transfers the files just fine. Then it goes into the windows installation set up screens and goes blank. I see it saying setup is starting and then before the setup for installation screens come on the screen goes black.

I went as far as installing ubuntu and it worked just fine. When ubuntu came up it said it had to go into low resolution but once I hit okay everything worked fine. This makes me beleive the windows xp install is not using the right video drivers. Am I on the right track? If so how do I get the xp installation to use the right drivers?

Other things that I have done and not fix my issue are:
set bios to default
tried to boot into safe mode (I get all the lines of safe mode starting but when windows goes to open my screen goes black)
replaced the hard drive.
Format and install xp on new hard drive.
Even found a copy of vista that came with the pc and it did not work.

Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

Hello,

Have a look here: HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot.

It might be worth testing the memory.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users